Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German speakers - thanks a lot.

Article about: I don't need a full translation of this paper. Just the key points of his war/captivity record. Annoyed from this ads?   Many thanks.

Default German speakers - thanks a lot.

I don't need a full translation of this paper. Just the key points of his war/captivity record.
    Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German speakers - thanks a lot.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German speakers - thanks a lot.
    P
    Many

?

I hope this is ok as my German is no longer as good as it once was.

Tony

He was a 28 year old sergeant/staff sergeant and prior to call up, a Turkish hairdresser living in Iran.

Twice wounded

9 GSD was surrounded 17/9/44 in Lithuania and almost wiped out.
    From 26 – 29/9 the unit was in the area north of Schaulen where they received reinforcements and carried out training.
    5/10/44 breaking through the enemy lines in the area of Schlauen.
    The area the division is to attack in the 2nd wave is unknown to the defector? (not too sure what’s meant, an ueberlaeufer is someone who’s come across from the opposite side).

10/10 arrival in new area north west of Vainode.

9GSD is right flank div. of the 6th army, neighbour to the left is 51 GSD, the division on the right is part of the 4th Stossarmee, the defector doesn’t know their number.

the 3 divisions of the 6th army have each two Schutz Regiments in the front line, the 3rd in reserve.

11/10 A company of GSR 18 was sent out on an armed recce/raid in the area of Saulkalne. The recce was a failure due to considerable losses and no prisoners taken.

The defector in with the medics in his regiment due to sickness from 17/9 – 17/10/44. 11/10/ he returned to his company.
    The above was stated by him to the regimental clerks. From there he was sent to his company however, he didn’t go there as he found a barn to hide in, in a different company’s area, he stayed there till evening. The next morning he defected.

Mission
    Penetrate through to the coast, attacking direction unknown. Time of attack given by the soldier as the 13 or 14/10.

Formation and strength
    9 GSD is made up of GSR 18, 22 and 31, GAR 28, 1 anti tank bn., 1 Pioneer bn., 1 Div. Nachr. Kp., 1 medical bn. Formation and structure of the supplies/logistical units unknown.

Each of the 3 GSR has 3 Schtz. and 1 Gr. – W Bn. (12cm).

The Schtz. Bn. each have 3 Schtz, 1 machine gun and 1 tank ???? company.
    Last edited by ynot; 01-28-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Thanks a lot, Tony !

Thanks for posting this interesting document...A Red Army soldier deserting in October 1944, when it should have been obvious that Germany was already defeated...I can only speculate as to this man's motivation...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Glenn you are right mate a very interesting document and not very common , looks like he surrendered to GR 151 of 61 ID if i read it correctly ?? In October 1944 they were in Kurland.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Ah yes, in this case ueberlaeufer is deserter, not defector. Perhaps others can help out with any other mistakes I've made.

Tony