Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

German WWII newsreels in HQ?

Article about: Hi, I hope someone can help me with the following question, I'm looking for German newsreels of World War II (better known as Die Deutsche Wochenschau), in HQ / HD. There are several of them

Default German WWII newsreels in HQ?

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with the following question, I'm looking for German newsreels of World War II (better known as Die Deutsche Wochenschau), in HQ / HD. There are several of them on YouTube but in terrible quality.

I've been searching for weeks (also in different languages) and looked through several online archives, here and there with success, for example, I found several Danish collaboration WWII newsreel that included footage from the Eastern Front in 1080p. In the Dutch archives I found also several newsreel items.

Too bad that many online archives, such as IWM, do not share the newsreels online:
    DIE DEUTSCHE WOCHENSCHAU NR 570 - part [Main Title] | Imperial War Museums < one example

Who can help me further with my research and do know any sources where to find them? Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WWII newsreels in HQ?
    P
    Many

Since most of them are still copyrighted, I think that you might not find many of them on the internet.

That must be one of the reasons, I think also that the archives that own these don't want to spread them around because it is Nazi propaganda, it remains a sensitive subject. But on the other hand, for us 'historians' they provide fantastic footage of the time, and especially in HD quality, it is fanastic to see these battles with every little detail such as the uniforms, weapons, the faces of the soldiers. Especially the last few months of the war are interesting to see because of the weapons.

Coincidentally, The National WWII Museum shared one of the Wochenschau videos on Youtube in 1080p:

There must be more in this kind of quality, many documentaires use it already but ofcourse the scenes are heavily edited/cut.

There are plenty on this website for you to choose from. Good luck in your research.

1942-12-02 - Die Deutsche Wochenschau Nr. 639 (old) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    There are plenty on this website for you to choose from. Good luck in your research.

1942-12-02 - Die Deutsche Wochenschau Nr. 639 (old) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Sorry, thecyclist64, not what I'm looking for. 99% of the videos there are terrible, way too low. I'm working on a approx. 1 hour documentary (non profit, more like a hobby) and I want to use several of these Wochenschau videos, but only in 720p or higher.

For example, one of the videos I need are scenes from the front at Leningrad and Narva. These two have several scenes from battles at Narva, but are too low for my project. Not sure which Wochenschau nr. it comes from.

TWS
    ?

Quote by westland1940 View Post
    Coincidentally, The National WWII Museum shared one of the Wochenschau videos on Youtube in 1080p:
    Check 4:15. Awesome shot of a Crusher cap with divisional cap badge.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

From a technical point of view, if something was never shot in 1080p (which in WWII it wouldn't have been), any "1080p" would only ever be as a result of some form of upscaling and hardly discernably to the naked eye. I watched the video you posted above from the National WWII Museum and I can't tell the difference. The point I'm making is that if something was originally shot in an inferior format, no amount of messing about with it will ever make it perfect. That said, I have seen footage from WWI which has been painstakingly digitised and coloured in, but that takes a lot of time, expense and effort. So it makes you think about how many people might set about such a project with the Deutsche wochenschau.

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    From a technical point of view, if something was never shot in 1080p (which in WWII it wouldn't have been), any "1080p" would only ever be as a result of some form of upscaling and hardly discernably to the naked eye. I watched the video you posted above from the National WWII Museum and I can't tell the difference. The point I'm making is that if something was originally shot in an inferior format, no amount of messing about with it will ever make it perfect. That said, I have seen footage from WWI which has been painstakingly digitised and coloured in, but that takes a lot of time, expense and effort. So it makes you think about how many people might set about such a project with the Deutsche wochenschau.
    I understand that it wasn't shot in 1080p like today, but on film, and recently digitized to a media file, probably in 1080p or 720p resolution. You mean you can't seen any difference between the National WWII Museum Wochenschau upload, compared to the "Battle of Narva footage"? Meant positively, that is amazing, because I do see a huge difference.

I have this huge 'private' archive of nice scanned WWII photos and several digitized newsreel from WWII, all of pretty good quality, if I suddenly use those low quality Wochenschau videos that would mess up my quality standard of my project. As viewer you will notice a huge difference of quality. Thats why I need only high quality newsreel, which are hard to find as you notice.

Hello, They have all you want, very good contact :

Military-WWII-Nazi-Soviet-Propaganda Films on DVD-International Historic Films
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

@Westland1940.
    The reason I can't tell the difference in the film quality formats might be twofold. 1. I am viewing them on a non hi-res laptop and secondly, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Either way, when viewing the film in both resolutions, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I wonder how many other people have noticed this, especially when they buy a new TV that is supposed to be better quality than their old model and find it to be much the same as the old one.