Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Hans Joachim Marseille besmirched

Article about: A recent Daily Mail article on Anne Frank included a photo of the decorated fighter ace in place of that belonging to SS-Obersturmführer Julius Dettmann who led the arrest squad. Despite bei

?

Default Hans Joachim Marseille besmirched

A recent Daily Mail article on Anne Frank included a photo of the decorated fighter ace in place of that belonging to SS-Obersturmführer Julius Dettmann who led the arrest squad. Despite being contacted and their error brought to their attention, nothing has been done, and no apologies to the Marseille family. This was both paper and internet based. Usual sloppy journalism we have come to expect these days.
    The one diary entry Anne Frank couldn't write: An account of the day the Gestapo came for her | Daily Mail Online

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hans Joachim Marseille besmirched
    P
    Many

Very poor.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

How on Earth can that kind of blunder even happen? This is a published, well-known photograph by a well-known photographer of a well-known personality.

It's even available as a stock photo from Alamy:
    Marseille, Hans Joachim, 19.9.1919 - 30.9.1942, German military Stock Photo: 48671946 - Alamy

(Not that I even expect a 21st century journalist to be aware of the fact that the oakleaves & swords are not a likely award for a Gestapo man to begin with...)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    How on Earth can that kind of blunder even happen?
    I think I've answered my own question.

Just out of curiosity, I did a reverse image search for the photo (as the Daily Mail journalist could have done) and, apart from many sites where it is correctly used as a picture of Marseille, came up with this one as well:

https://alchetron.com/Julius-Dettmann

Was that used to research Dettmann for the article?

?

Typical of the Daily Fail !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I think they must have removed it; I can't see a picture of him. well done for flagging it up.

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    I think they must have removed it; I can't see a picture of him. well done for flagging it up.
    Indeed. It was removed today with the note:

"A feature in Monday's paper about the arrest of Anne Frank by the Gestapo included a photo of a man who was wrongly identified as Julius Dettmann, an SS officer involved in the search. In fact, the photo showed German fighter ace Hans-Joachim Marseille, who had no connection with the events described. We apologise of the error."

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Good job, Andreas!!

The Daily "Hate" is a dreadful paper but then most others are pretty bad too and journalist of this ilk are one of my least favourite groups of people.

"Research" once so important in journalism seems to be frowned upon and it seems to me that every article on a military subject in this type of "rag" is riddled with factual errors.

Other media are no better. For example BBC Radio 2 has a show fronted by a total buffoon called Jeremy Vine which I see as "Jeremy Kyle for the middle class". One Battle of Britain anniversary a while back he interviewed a surviving Hurricane pilot who had been shot down and had to bale out.
    Throughout the interview Vine fixated on this and made continual references to the ejector seat!!! He went on and on about "pushing the button" pulling the handle" "being shot out by a rocket" etc totally oblivious to the fact that the Hurricane pre-dated ejection technology by a huge margin.
    The vet was a real gentleman and despite having explained how he had exited the aircraft by turning it over and falling out he never corrected the thoughtless idiot!

Don't get me started on photographs of assault rifles with ejection ports apparently on the wrong side or British troops in WWII wearing American uniforms and vice-versa. Or late war weapons and equipment in articles about the Battle for France.

Still, as they say in journo school "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

I only buy a newspaper these days for a crossword and TV listings (sometimes)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Here is the Mail's letter:

Thank you for your phone call and email regarding last week’s article about the arrest of Anne Frank.

You are quite right to point out that the piece included a photo of Hans-Joachim Marseille, and not Julius Dettmann as the caption suggested. We have since removed the photograph from the online version, and issued a correction in our paper last Thursday. As I am sure you will appreciate, deadlines can be very tight on a newspaper of our size and occasionally minor errors can occur. It is unfortunate that this was not spotted before the paper went to print, but please be assured that we are investigating what went wrong.

Many thanks again for drawing this matter to our attention.

With kind regards

Xavier Bastin

Deputy Managing Editor