Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HhHH ( Himmlers Hirn Heisst Heydrich)

Article about: Nick, many thanks again for the tip. At last had the time to read it, and recently finished what is indeed a very well written book. Nice style of writing too. Regards, Carl

?

Default Re: HhHH ( Himmlers Hirn Heisst Heydrich)

Nick, many thanks again for the tip. At last had the time to read it, and recently finished what is indeed a very well written book. Nice style of writing too.

Regards,

Carl
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

Glad you enjoyed it Carl, I thought you would !

Yes I liked his style too

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Wunder were you guy's find time to read a book!??
    But I'll keep it in mind if I ever find the time; (when hospitalized, the slammer or other such place!)
    ;-)
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Wunder were you guy's find time to read a book!??
    But I'll keep it in mind if I ever find the time; (when hospitalized, the slammer or other such place!)
    ;-)
    |<ris
    I dont think I have ever not had a book on the go ! Bedtime is the best time

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I have just watched the film, what do you think ???

Cheers

I enjoyed it, it told the story but if you have visited St Cyril's church the final scene would disappoint

I preferred the first half of the film more showing Heydrich's rise from Navy officer to Protectorate. At the beginning of the film I thought Jason Clarke was miscast as Heydrich but he became more convincing as he became more indoctrinated

The assassination build up lacked tension for me

Good entertainment but I much prefer Operation Daybreak over this version and Anthropoid

Nick

I got round to watching the film yesterday and it is a decent film. As mentioned, the crypt scene could of been better but the film covers a wider story than just Operation Anthropoid and I think this is the reason for it lacking the tension in the build up to the assassination and manhunt. What has to be remembered is that the film is based on a fiction book interwoven with true events rather than just a true depiction of events so it was never going to be 100% genuine, for example (SPOILER ALERT - have always wanted to say that!) anyone with an interest in the real events knows that the hiding place was given away by the young boy when he was shown the decapitated head of his mother but in HHhH he does it while being forced to watch a man being tortured.
    Also, where I thought the film Anthropoid was better is in the use of locations. I have no idea if the crypt scene in Anthropoid was actually filmed in the very crypt where the heroes made their last stand or if it was a mock-up but if it is the latter than it was very well done as it is identical to the real thing (would they allow a film company to stage a battle including flood water in the real crypt?)
    Overall I would say that HHhH/The Man With The Iron Heart is worth watching but of the three films I much preferred Anthropoid over the other two.

OK just quickly putting my head above the parapet!

As for the book at the top of this thread I tried to read it when it was first available in UK and have to say that I didn't like it at all in fact I only got about 3/4 through it (I am persistent) before I discarded it. It seemed to be written almost like a novel but came over as neither novel or factual account and I have to say I found the writing style very irritating and somewhat confusing.

I do read more than the average I think and alternate between novels (all genres), annecdotal accounts (just finished "Old Soldier Sahib" and "Old Soldiers never Die" by Frank Richards - spellbinding books both) and factual/ historical accounts as well as regular forays into reference works. However, this was one of the most disappointing books I ever opened. I had been looking forward to reading it but now would actually advise against it in favour of something more firmly in one genre or another.

I know some will disagree strongly but as mentioned further up the thread there have been mixed reviews so I am only adding mine as a counterpoise to the raves above. There are far better accounts concerning Heydrich himself as well as Anthropoid in particular it is really a matter of taste I suppose but on the basis of Hhhh Binet is not on my "One to watch" list.

As for the films, I have a copy of "Operation Anthropoid" in my hand as I write so I know I have watched it and I like everything I have seen of Cillian Murphy but I have absolutely no recollection of the film so that tells me something (yes OK I might be going senile!). The film "Operation Daybreak" was a product of its time so enough said about the production and screenplay but a useful account for all that.

As I say, I just offer something to balance the debate and I hope I don't start an argument

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

You guy's made me curious and I am watching it right now...the crypt scene is going to start now and I must say it didn't chained me so far...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    You guy's made me curious and I am watching it right now...the crypt scene is going to start now and I must say it didn't chained me so far...

The problem with the church scene is that is nothing like the real St Cyrils ....it was identical in Operation Daybreak and Anthropoid. I suppose it only affects those who have visited the real St Cyrils

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast