Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Himmler's capture

Article about: well i think some people on this site may have useful information so here goes. I'm writing about the capture of H. Himmler on May 21st 1945. Of every book I've read about Himmler not a sing

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I think you are perfectly aware that my comment was not directed at you. You also made no spelling errors in post # 54. You write clearly and your contributions here
    have been excellent.
    Let me second that. We are no "Grammar Nazis" here (pun intended); Friedrich-Berthold was referring to the frequently seen combination of lousy posts written in lousy grammar and spelling by people with lousy manners. None of which applies to you, Greg.

But as for the thread starter..:

Quote by dubman View Post
    I know their all wrong as I have a, the documentation formt he regiment whom captured him [...]
    It is not recommended to attempt writing a book without grasping such things as the difference between "their" and "they're".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Himmler's capture
    P
    Many

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Hell hath no fury like the Grammar Gestapo on the trail of a common minion. I always try to use the spell check option before submitting my replies or correspondence to FB.

FB please take my response as nothing more than a jovial jocularity. (Had to spell check that one)

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Dear Friend, your posts are among my favorite. And I have a close and deep bond to the USMC, to boot.
    My point is this: after nearly 19,000 posts and fifty three years of collecting Nazi regalia, one gets a sense of who is serious and who is not.
    If certain persons take offense at this fact, then Andreas answered such persons and I associate myself with his answer.
    Andreas is a non native speaker of English, whose English is always better than most native speakers and he is a superb researcher,
    even though his profession is not necessarily history. He is a fine historian, in my book. His English is better than mine. So is his German, for that matter.
    The person who started this thread is likely not the personage quoted in the Daily Mail article.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Let me second that. We are no "Grammar Nazis" here (pun intended); Friedrich-Berthold was referring to the frequently seen combination of lousy posts written in lousy grammar and spelling by people with lousy manners. None of which applies to you, Greg.
    as I noted above....bravo.

Also, since many of you are interested in the German military, discipline of language stood as a soldierly virtue in earlier times.

Duden | Zucht | Rechtschreibung, Bedeutung, Definition, Synonyme, Herkunft

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldatensprache

The Nazis seriously abused this ideal.
    Some of us struggle to understand the purpose of posts and to formulate a clear, proper, and disciplined response.
    The latter takes a great deal of time and effort, especially when there are other requirements on a person's time.
    Bravo, Andreas.

Quote by dubman View Post
    don;t
    Semicolon abuse is a particular peeve of mine...

?

After a bit of internet research, it appears dubman is Mr Mannion an amateur historian at the IWM, more of his research can be found here Arrest oF H Himmler - The Third Reich - WW2 Talk . If only he had presented this information in the first place. He also has an article in the IWM newsletter http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/...ummer_2015.pdf

Just been reading through this thread from start to finish, not looked at it since yesterday

I think I have to agree that the OP is not Mr Mannion, the 52 year old man from Manchester. The thought did cross my mind when I first read the original posts from " dubman "

The grammar and spelling used and the reactions to negative responses received, seemed to me somewhat reminiscent of a teenager and not a 52 year old man who has already conducted serious research into his grandfathers past.

Also it would be interesting to know if Mr Mannion is a Volkswagen enthusiast , as his nickname " dubman " suggests

Quote by duska View Post
    After a bit of internet research, it appears dubman is Mr Mannion an amateur historian at the IWM, more of his research can be found here Arrest oF H Himmler - The Third Reich - WW2 Talk . If only he had presented this information in the first place. He also has an article in the IWM newsletter http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/...ummer_2015.pdf
    I do not think the " dubman " on here is the same person, just read his posts on the other forum......far different from those on here I believe

(( Thread Closed )).... , due to Grammatical arguments ...loss of Plot...finally Op`s Lack of cooperation in keeping the thread intact.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7