Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Inside the U 505

Article about: Amazing! I would so like to be there one day !! Nick

Default Inside the U 505

Had a great visit with cricketchris (Chris) And Greenhorn (Mark) In Chicago.
    Chris and I did the Sub tour and far as I know we have no inside pics on the forum.
    So I hope you will find this interesting.

Eric
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Inside the U 505   Inside the U 505  

Inside the U 505   Inside the U 505  

[h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Inside the U 505
    P
    Many

Mr Coleman had a hand in moving this back in the day. Here is some info from him and how cool Bob!

Quote from Bob Coleman.. The U-505 was brought through the St. Lawrence seaway and in to the Great Lakes in the early 1950's. The Museum sits off the shore of Lake Michigan so it was brought overland from the lake about 1/2 mile. It is now housed in a building built at the begining of this century expressly for holding the sub. My company was involved in the construction and security for the building. The display and tour far exceeds what was originally presented when the sub first arrived.
    Admiral Gallery, whose taskforce captured the sub, was almost court martialed due to the fact that capturing the sub also meant capturing intact enigma machines and their code and setting books. The submarine became a top priority secret until after the war due to the fear that the Germans would certainly change their codes. Gallery, who was a native Chicago resident, arranged for the sub to be taken by the Museum of Science and Industry. The former U-Boat crew had several reunion parties aboard their sub along with men from the American task force. The last was in the mid 1990's when those crew members from old East Germany were able to attend.

Whoa dude very intense..and seeing the enigma machine is outstanding..great photos and history..I never knew the 505 was in the US. Thanks for the info. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I had a great time Eric.
    You took some very good pictures,I love the woodwork they had in it.
    chris

Fantastic pics, Eric!

The 505 is much bigger than even the pictures suggest, isn't it? I like the shot of the speaking tubes, or the communication tubes. Wish I was a part of this outing but I enjoyed the time we did get to spend.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Had the best time with You guys! The show and tell time in the hotel was the best time I have had in quite a while.
    It was nice to see some top notch items from you guys that are seldom seen behind a computer screen.

Eric

I too have toured this great boat. It is amazing how they have preserved it. If anyone gets the chance to see it if you are in Chicago, should do it.
    Sounds like you guys had a great time.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

A great look on the inside!!!

Was great to see in person.

Eric

Absolutely amazing! I one day hope to go to see U505 as I have (or rather had) a relative who was a Uboat captain during the war and this and his memorial in Kiel are two places I would really like to go too. Thanks for posting!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast