Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Killing Hitler on History Channel

Article about: Just watched a fascinating programme re the bomb plot at Wolfs Lair. A bunker expert, an architect, a 3D computer designer and an explosives expert reconstructed the events leading upto the

?

Default Killing Hitler on History Channel

Just watched a fascinating programme re the bomb plot at Wolfs Lair. A bunker expert, an architect, a 3D computer designer and an explosives expert reconstructed the events leading upto the explosion in the Wooden hut . There were a number of factors that came together which in turn saved Hitlers life and some were quite surprising. The Table where the bomb was placed was constructed in sections with a pine top, the legs were made from thick oak, we all know that the bomb had been moved and placed towards the end of the table behind one of the legs. What I didnt know was that Von Staffenburg and his aide had two bombs and for some reason decided not to pack both in the attache case.Also , at the last minute the location for the meeting was changed from the concrete bunker to the wooden hut because of the high temperature in the original location, some 140*, and also that Mussolini was expected that day . It was proved that had the bomb not been moved, Hitler would have sustained more injuries but still might not have been killed , if both bombs had been placed and still the case been moved behind the table leg everyone in the hut would have sustained lethal injuries, another of the deciding factors could have been Hitlers stance at the time, he was prone to lean over the table and resting his chin in his hand, when the bomb exploded, the sections of table top flew up and more or less protected his upper body from blast effects which resulted in a small injury to his wrist and wooden splinters in his legs plus a perforated ear drum, it still remains a mystery as to why both bombs were not placed together, although a probable explanation was that had the location been in the concrete bunker the blast effect and compression would have been enough to kill everyone present, even with just one bomb, therefore it could have been pure misjudgement on the plotters part but it still doesnt explain why both bombs were not used, an interesting and informative programme.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Killing Hitler on History Channel
    P
    Many

Default Re: Killing Hitler on History Channel

Hi Dave,

I saw this program as well. I believe the second bomb was not used (or maybe there was only one bomb and it wasn't rigged up properly...) because Von Staffenburg had only a few moments to arm the bomb, and the act of arming it was difficult for him because of his war wounds (missing one hand, missing fingers on the other hand, missing one eye). On top of that, I think a Wolf's Lair staff member almost entered the room where Von Staffenburg was arming the bomb! That would have ruined things for sure!!

?

Yes , thats true Joe ,but if they had just placed the second bomb in the same case , even without arming it , it was proved that the type of explosives used ( a form of plastic explosive ) would have detonated also , resulting in a much larger blast, and of course a change in History lol

The recreation of both the conference room and the bunker explosions were done on a recent episode of 'Mythbusters'-their conclusions were that both were survivable and that the location made little difference to this.

?

That makes no sense whatsoever, I like Mythbusters but sometimes their findings are suspect to say the least, an explosion in a concrete bunker without windows and 4 foot think walls would confine the concussion of the blast, the pressure wave alone could be enough to disrupt internal organs and cause internal bleeding, whereas a wooden hut with open windows would'nt have the same effect, my moneys on the real experts

Thanks for that Dave. Can i have a signed copy when it gets published?

?

I take it your not coming up here anytime soon, GOOD !!!!!!

Regardless of the conclusion of the experiments, it is still a very interesting watch. I enjoyed it very much.

?

If you like alittle bit of Hollywood you should watch Valkyrie with Tom Cruise acting in it!! its a very good film I thought..A feast just looking at all the uniforms etc!! Cheers Terry.