Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Large photo report on the fighting of German armor in Hungary - useful for research

Article about: Dear All, Just want to post ta link to a very nice photo report that I found on the internet on the fighting of German armored formations in Hungary (including SS units). It's a war time rep

Default Large photo report on the fighting of German armor in Hungary - useful for research

Dear All,

Just want to post ta link to a very nice photo report that I found on the internet on the fighting of German armored formations in Hungary (including SS units). It's a war time report of the Soviet Army commission that assessed the fighting in the area. A lot of detailed info is in Russian, but there are English descriptions as well!

Бои у озера Балатон. Ð¯Ð½Ð²Ð°Ñ€ÑŒâ€“Ð¼Ð°Ñ€Ñ 1945 г. (fb2) | Либрусек

Enjoy your research

Cheers,

Evgeni

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Large photo report on the fighting of German armor in Hungary - useful for research
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Large photo report on the fighting of German armor in Hungary - useful for research

Well, very nice. It is in Russian.....

Default Re: Large photo report on the fighting of German armor in Hungary - useful for research

The description of the photos are in both Russian and English

Excellent site! Even though I can't read Russian well at all, the photo's are great!

?

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    Excellent site! Even though I can't read Russian well at all, the photo's are great!
    look under the Russian writing you'll see the English translation as well

?

Some excellent photos there!! I was just thinking the loss of live & equipment... amazing amount.. cheers Terry.

?

Interesting link thanks for posting.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Excellent link Evgeni. I'm with Tango, mind boggling how much equipment was destroyed and captured in this small operational area alone.

Jay

Amazing images ! That knocked out King Tiger at the beginning still looks in good nick !! I wonder what happened to these slain monsters

Thanks for showing this site

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 05-29-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Always a pleasure to share interesting stuff! Indeed, the fighting was very heavy and it was the last big German offensive of the time. Same sources report 50-60 tanks per km of the front at the start of the offensive (mainly heavy tanks and SPGs) in the area of the breakthrough. From almost 900 tanks committed to the offensive 500 were lost (you can see the white numbers marked by the inspection on the tanks).

One of the main reasons why such a powerful attack was repelled was in the preparation of the Red Army . Mid-February the Soviets knew about the German plans and prepared a strong line of defence using experience of Kursk (up to 30 km in depth). Main focus was on artillery (in the most dangerous places of the front a saturation of 50-60 pieces per km was achieved) in combination with prepared defensive position (camouflage, trenches and mine fields). A lot of importance was also given to logistics as artillery uses loads of ammunition and trucks need fuel to carry it to the front. For that purpose roads were constructed to manoeuvre the reinforcement and even a pipeline across the Danube river was constructed.

BTW Kurt Knispel (panzer ace of aces of the axis) also fought in that area (Kurt Knispel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast