Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Late war KIA - Brigadeführer SS Ernst Fick.

Article about: Fick bought the farm April 29, 1945. Supposedly outside a KZ in Murnau, where he was heading to deliever a letter from Himmler in regards to the execution of POVs. US forces were already in

?

Default Late war KIA - Brigadeführer SS Ernst Fick.

Fick bought the farm April 29, 1945.
    Supposedly outside a POW camp in Murnau, where he was heading to deliever a letter from Himmler in regards to the execution of POWs. US forces were already in the area and Fick et al noticed too late and opened fire. The result is seen here.
    I include the caveats, as I know nothing of the fact and only sifted through what I found on the web.

Here some family members are discussing the circumstances:

This response from one family member to the other who inquired about his grandfathers death:

Hallo Gunnar!

ich bin's, dein Cousin Leo...auch ich habe mich ein wenig schlau machen wollen über unseren richtigen Opi und bin auf folgendes, leider nicht positives, gestoßen:
    Kurios zunächst war, dass unser Opi in Schwabstadl auf dem Friedhof liegt (rechts hinten) und diese Kriegsgräberstätte ca. 2 km vom Haus meines Schwiegervaters entfernt liegt!! Ich war schon mehrmals dort (auch am Tag von Großis Beerdigung, da ich beim Schwiegervater übernachtet habe)
    Schade, dass Du nicht da warst.

Zum 29. April 1945: Opi war anscheinend mit einem Brief Himmlers (der die Exekution der 5000 meist polnischen Kriegsgefangenen befahl) im Lager OFLAG VII A in Murnau angekommen als die Amerikaner das Lager erreichten. Wenn Du unter Google die Suchbegriffe "OFLAG Vii a" oder "Murnau POW Libertation pictures" gibt es sogar Fotos und Berichte von den letzten Minuten.

On April 29, 1945, during the oflag assembly a plane with Polish insygnia had appeared in the sky, circled above the assembly square, tried to signal something and went away. Soon on the road to the camp appeared American tanks. At the same time from the other side of Murnau 2 German cars approached. They stopped upon noticing the tanks. Germans had been taken by surprise. SS officer in the first car opened fire from the machine gun, at the same time his companion jumped out of the veihicle. Both men were killed on a spot by Americans. The same fate met the passangers of the second car. Among the killed Germans was SS general Fik. His briefcase contained the letter signed by Himmler. It was an order to kill all 5000 Polish officers in Murnau. To execute this task Fik had had at his dsposal an SS group in 40 armoured vehicles that started from Munich. Most likely the SS-man intended to assemble the POWs and killed them with the machine guns fire from guard's towers.

SS commander and his lieutenant killed by Americans

Liebe Grüße

Leo

Text from here:
    Object not found!

Pic from this site - see watermark:

Last edited by CARL; 05-14-2016 at 06:57 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late war KIA - Brigadeführer SS Ernst Fick.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Late war KIA - Brigadeführer SS Ernst Fick.

Good ridance to these bastards who enjoy giving orders to kill prisoners like cattle!!Tough S--t General.

I can only imagine being one of the Polish officers who read about this afterward. If there was ever to be a 'whew!' moment in your life, this would definitely be it.

?

This must one of these moments were you know you have won something better than the first price in the lottery.

-Well maybe not for the Brigadefuhrer...

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I can only imagine being one of the Polish officers who read about this afterward. If there was ever to be a 'whew!' moment in your life, this would definitely be it.
    I was thinking the same thing, when reading about the incident.
    Its one of those 'what if' moments.
    If the details stated above are true, maybe some POW lives were actually spared because of the accidental timing/arrival of US forces.
    When considering that, its a very powerful image. Just one of many from the chaos, that was WWII.

A very poignant image.

'Whew' indeed.

I guess you meant 29th April , not July as in your opener Scout? as Himmler was dead by the 23rd.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

LOL and DOH You might have noticed, that I had APRIL correct further down in the text when the date was mentioned the second time. Its of course not July, as events had moved on considerably by that time.
    First mention of date now corrected. So much for copy + paste. I copyed the info from several sites. One flickr pic has yet another date (2. April. Axis History says 29. too).
    As per the caveats, I dont know the particulars for sure - let alone the exact date.
    I find the pic of Fick and his driver interesting none the less.

I wonder if those guys were buried with real fighting men...

?

Good question given the licence tag and the uniform insignia.

?

That's the story I was told at the local museum in Murnau. However, there are some pieces missing and some questions to be raised.
    A certain Hauptmann Pohl had assembled the guards as well as the prisoners at the gate, to await the arrival of the US troops. The Polish prisoners had been handed back their belongings the day before, including their daggers.
    At one point, several cars (two?) arrived at the front gate. Confronted by Fick, Pohl refused to hand over the prisoners. In consequence, he was shot through his cheek, alledgedly with a rifle (?). At the same time, the US tanks appeared and opened fire at the car(s). Two SS officers were killed. According to some sorces, the tanks pursued the one or more fleeing cars.
    This is the story that Pohl was supposed to have told. He also mentioned the "liquidation" order.
    However, I find it unlikely for Fick to have such orders (issued by Himmler). By April 28, Himmler had already been sacked by Hitler. Also, there were no such orders for other camps holding Polish POW. Furthermore, two or three cars with a few passengers would not have sufficed to execute 5000 prisoners, especially with US troops so close. From what I heard, the POWs were supposed to be marched back to Murnau. I am working on this topic academically at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast