Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Lennigrad

Article about: Almost forgot. Lennigrad by W. Joyce if another great read. Is packed with info concerning the 900 day siege of the city. A truly gripping story. Food was so short that people were forced to

Default Lennigrad

Almost forgot. Lennigrad by W. Joyce if another great read. Is packed with info concerning the 900 day siege of the city. A truly gripping story. Food was so short that people were forced to eat human corposes and cats and dogs. Russians tried to send food across Lake Lodoga when it froze over in winter but was never enough to feed population. Many more starved than the Russians will admit of course. Lie like crazy. Anyway this was one of my favorite reads. Enjoy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lennigrad
    P
    Many

Default Re: Lennigrad

Thanks for that recommendation !

I have read 'The Siege of Leningrad' by David Glantz a great read

Nick!
    Attached Images Attached Images Lennigrad 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I know the 900 Day Siege of Leningrad by Sailsbury is back in print but I have not read it. Believe published in late 60s I believe.

Another great read on Leningrad is Leningrad: State Of Siege by Michael K Jones. So far with regards to the Russian Front he has written 4 books and each one of them has made fantastic reading. In terms of what I think are his best (in order), I would say:

1. Leningrad: State Of Siege
    2. Stalingrad: How The Red Army Triumphed
    3. The Retreat (about the German retreat from Moscow)
    4. Total War: From Stalingrad To Berlin

The Retreat is a very good book but I made the mistake of reading it straight after reading Robert Kershaw's War Without Garlands which also covers that phase and as Kershaw's book is outstanding I think it spoiled The Retreat abit coming so soon afterwards.