Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Letter about Rommels death

Article about: I saw this online. Its a typed written letter by Manfred Rommel which he describes in detail what happened when the "Generals" came to get his Father. Its a fantastic read. It desr

?

Default Letter about Rommels death

I saw this online. Its a typed written letter by Manfred Rommel which he describes in detail what happened when the "Generals" came to get his Father. Its a fantastic read. It desribes the last minutes of his life.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Letter about Rommels death   Letter about Rommels death  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Letter about Rommels death
    P
    Many

Default Re: Letter about Rommels death

Amazing letter and testimony !! what was this letter for it is it original what is the info behind it ??

?

Here is the link to the news article: Death of the Desert Fox.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Very interesting.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I think it's an attempt at revisionist history. When you found it online was there anything said about whether or not this is a translation of an original document written in German? If it is a genuine deposition, it would seem that it would have been connected to some legal investigation or inquiry. Where would Manfred Rommel have been on 27 April 1945 to be the subject of such an inquiry? The war was not then over. There is also the claim that Hans Speidel told his inquisitors, "...that my father had taken a leading part in the 20th July 1944 (Plot)..." That is contrary to everything I have ever read about Hans Speidel. According to Brig. Gen. Desmond Young, Rommel, pp. 247-49, Speidel "Outwitted inquisitors through two major interrogations...professing that neither he nor Rommel could have possibly been involved in the conspiracy." Another feature of this document ist that a legal deposition includes the place where the deposition was taken, and it's purpose, which this document does not. Dwight

?

You make some interesting points Dwight. I too wondered if the dates and places tied up with Manfred's actual situation. I thought he surrendered to the French, in which case, would he be writing in English in Riedlingen about the circumstances of his Father's death at this time?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian: We have the same questions. I don't know how good Mafred Rommel's English was in April 19145 when he was 15 years old, but I seriously doubt it was THAT good--dictated or not. Dwight

?

It was dictated for Montgomery. The story is that Manfred was angry about the "Official" story put out by Goebbels and the propaganda service. When Montgomery heard rumors about Rommels "official" death he sent the adjutant to talk to Rommels wife and Manfred. Who at that time were in Allied hands. Manfred met w/ Captain Noel Chavasse an Adjuctant for Motgomery. Apparantly Montgomery was quite fond of Rommel and wanted to know what happened.

This was dictated just 6 months after his death when Manfred was 15. Manfred gave the deposition in German but it was transcribed into English for Montgomery, which is why its typed in English. It was sold at auction a while back. Rommels wife also gave an account to an allied Inteligence officer Charles Marshall in April 1945 too and both accounts were very similar.

?

Rommel was not "Involved" in the 20 July plot
    He may have known.....but had no direct role.