Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe Squadron Models - ID Requested

Article about: Nick, Matt, Chris, Adrian, Thank you for comments and suggestions. I have the referenced Luftwaffe Emblems book here on my shelf, and I previously saw a very similar emblem included in a pos

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe Squadron Models - ID Requested

Nick, Matt, Chris, Adrian,

Thank you for comments and suggestions. I have the referenced Luftwaffe Emblems book here on my shelf, and I previously saw a very similar emblem included in a poster featuring Battle of Britain units back a few years. Whatever the case, I like the darn things and they are are obviously pretty rare. Perhaps we'll learn more about them in the future.

By way of explanation, I did a lot of work at Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, during the period 1990-95 and that is where I caught the collecting bug. However, when I was a kid back in the 50's my best friend and I would dress up in his Dad's bring-backs (German helmet, sleeve bands, etc.) and play army til all hours. He recently retired from the US Army after 34 years. I'm still a scum-bag aerospace contractor.

When time allows next weekend I'll take some more pictures of my "Otto Eckstein collection" and share his story with you. Attached are a couple of pics to tweak your interest. Otto was a radio/gunner on a FW-189 during battle of Kursk. As you may sense, he did not survive ...but that is only half of the story.

Cheers to All,
    Richard
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Squadron Models - ID Requested  
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Squadron Models - ID Requested  Luftwaffe Squadron Models - ID Requested 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Squadron Models - ID Requested
    P
    Many

I am so surprise no one could come up with a idea about them.I think they look great .My opinion is they are propaganda items for German top Luftwaffe Aces .I would really like to found out more about them.I know I saw that emblem before driving me crasy.

Here we go.
    German ace Unteroffizier Oskar Romm
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Squadron Models - ID Requested 

?

Chris,

Very close, only problem is the goat is looking backward, and JG-1 Molders reportedly only flew 109's, followed by 190's, which appears from the cockpit structure the type of aircraft being exited in the picture. I think this is the emblem I saw in the Battle of Britain poster I previously saw.

Incidently, there is a whole in the bottom of the 110 which indicates to me that the model once was mounted on a stand, as is the case with the FW-189.

Thanks and Cheers,
    Rick

P.S. I hike with a guy from Chicago. He says the Cubs are coming back next year.

?

Rick,
    I for one am really looking forward to seeing more of the 'Otto Eckstein collection'. I would love to see some close ups of the pics in the photo album, the FW-189 has always appealed to me for some reason and you don't see pics of it very often.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Luft44 View Post
    Chris,

Very close, only problem is the goat is looking backward, and JG-1 Molders reportedly only flew 109's, followed by 190's, which appears from the cockpit structure the type of aircraft being exited in the picture. I think this is the emblem I saw in the Battle of Britain poster I previously saw.
    Yup, it was that poster that was what I was remembering too- listed as being the emblem of I./JG51 (I just found mine). I agree the problem is that they never flew Bf110s, but that just adds to the liklihood of these simply being toys. Whether the goat is facing one way or the other seems more likely to me to just be the error (or choice) of the artist, which doesn't seem odd given that the other markings, 'shading' on the windows, etc. are all fairly simply done. They're definitely not painted by someone spending a lot of time and taking great care, which one might expect of custom or formal pieces, but more like the relatively quick mass-produced kind of thing.

And that Otto Eckstein grouping is just phenomenal! It's wonderful to see things kept together like that so the complete history is maintained- I'm envious
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Friends,

I have a new camera which takes far better close-ups, so those will be the pictures I'll post this weekend. The pics in of the 189 were taken at Orem, which is one of the primary places held by the Germans during the Battle of Kursk. Boy, would I like to dig in that area.

Anyway, my wife actually bought the Eckstein collection for me for Father's Day about five years ago. I wanted it because I already had the 189 model, and like was mentioned, one rarely sees photos of the aircraft. The collection itself is remarkable. Everything from his birth notice to his death notice. Pictures of him growing up, in the HJ, and finally in the Luftwaffe. I have his Wehrpass, all of his award documentation, and letters from his aircraft commander and doctor, which explain the circumstances of his first being wounded, and then his passing during surgery. The really unique and heart wrenching thing about the collection though is that Otto knew he was in tough going into surgery, so he wrote letters of appreciation to his parents and sister. These too are in the collection. Obviously, his family, and probably his Father, put the collection together after his death. I had a German neighbor that served in the Wermacht and was wounded twice at Prague during the last days of the war. I asked if he could translate the documentation for me and he could not make it through. Just tore him up. Everyone in his gymasium graduating class was lost.

?

The Otto Eckstein Collection has been posted on the Orders and Decorations board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2