Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Minenschiff "Brummer"

Article about: Hi guys, I have been getting into German death notice cards lately and I picked up a nice one a few days ago for a man by the name of Franz Ranseder. The poor guy was killed on April 26th, 1

Default Minenschiff "Brummer"

Hi guys,

I have been getting into German death notice cards lately and I picked up a nice one a few days ago for a man by the name of Franz Ranseder. The poor guy was killed on April 26th, 1945. I have been trying to research him, but every keyword I type into Google has come up negative. I have a few questions for anybody who can give me any information:

1. Can anyone give me and information on the minesweeper ship called the "Brummer"? I would absolutely love to find some pictures of the ship, or even better, its crew.

2. Obergefreiter Ranseder was killed when an aircraft strafed his ship near the "Insel Briano". I have tried to find this island with no success. Does anyone have any idea where this island is?

3. Was his ship strafed by American or British aircraft? Which had a better chance of attacking the "Brummer" at the time and place that they did?

4. Where the hell is Pola? He was buried at the military cemetery there, but I can't figure out for the life of me where that is. I would also love to acquire a photo of his grave.

5. Lastly, do you know where I should start trying to look for family? I know that in Germany it is common to find that attitude of "I want nothing to do with it!" towards Germany's history from 1933-1945, but it would be neat to at least attempt to reunite this card with his family.

Thanks in advance, guys. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Mo

Default Re: Minenschiff "Brummer"

Well, guys, I have found some information. Apparently the "Brummer" began life as a Norwegian ship that was captured and renamed by the Germans. I have found something interesting though. This was taken from wrecksite.eu:

Allen Tony28/11/2007
    "The Olav Tryggvason HNoMS was a Norwegian Royal Navy Minesweeper taken into the Kriegsmarine and renamed Albatros II, to commemorate the torpedo-boat she had sunk. Shortly thereafter, on April 16, she was renamed again, as the Brummer, after an artillery training ship torpedoed in the Kattegat 14 April 1940. After capture the ship was rearmed with new main and secondary guns. Her original four 12 cm main guns were at first stored by the Germans before being installed in a coastal artillery battery at Hundvåg in Vestlandet in May, 1945, only days before VE day. The end of Brummer came on April 3, 1945, when she was wrecked by RAF bombers while in dry dock at Deutsche Werke in the Baltic port of Kiel. After the war, the wreck was blown up and used in the construction of a new dock a rea in Kiel."

Funny, considering Obergefreiter Ranseder was killed on April 24th, 1945 when his ship was strafed. What was he doing on the wreck a couple weeks after it was knocked out of commission?