I have been getting into German death notice cards lately and I picked up a nice one a few days ago for a man by the name of Franz Ranseder. The poor guy was killed on April 26th, 1945. I have been trying to research him, but every keyword I type into Google has come up negative. I have a few questions for anybody who can give me any information:
1. Can anyone give me and information on the minesweeper ship called the "Brummer"? I would absolutely love to find some pictures of the ship, or even better, its crew.
2. Obergefreiter Ranseder was killed when an aircraft strafed his ship near the "Insel Briano". I have tried to find this island with no success. Does anyone have any idea where this island is?
3. Was his ship strafed by American or British aircraft? Which had a better chance of attacking the "Brummer" at the time and place that they did?
4. Where the hell is Pola? He was buried at the military cemetery there, but I can't figure out for the life of me where that is. I would also love to acquire a photo of his grave.
5. Lastly, do you know where I should start trying to look for family? I know that in Germany it is common to find that attitude of "I want nothing to do with it!" towards Germany's history from 1933-1945, but it would be neat to at least attempt to reunite this card with his family.
Thanks in advance, guys. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.