Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?

Article about: A pinned thread on books would be a great resource, I think? One of the more pleasant aspect of eBay "varied" Third Reich offerings is you never know what you're going to find and

Default MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?

A pinned thread on books would be a great resource, I think?

One of the more pleasant aspects of eBay's "varied" Third Reich offerings is you never know what you're going to find and there are many older publications on or about the Third Reich that you didn't even know existed until you see them.

A museum of this stuff is as important as the items themselves, maybe even more. Because it enriches the mind (instead of diminishing your bank account!;-), as opposed to items decorating a shelf. And the neat thing about books is they can easily satisfy that daily craving we all have (let's face it, we're addicts! ;-), at a very low price as well.

Another aspect of this is the older books. These are the "classics", some very well known but older books on the subject, and their vintage appeals to me. The 60's, the 70's, it brings back memories for some of us, walking into a shop with a whole back rack of Nazi uniforms and hats, the smell of Army surplus that was around everywhere back then, a certain innocence that's gone from today's hard edged collecting world, and the passing of our youth, for those of us "baby boomers"...

It's a damn fine day when I receive a couple of these older books in the mail... and with some of the letdowns I've had with collecting lately, the books really are a stress free treasure!

Did I mention a pinned thread on books?

Anyway, here goes, it a few days worth, a few "picture books" as FB calls them ;-), and then a few serious books. I've been wanting a copy of the classic (and it turns out controversial at the time) The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany by William L. Shirer, and found an actual 1960 copy (my year of manufacture ;-) in very good condition, along with a couple other interesting books on Hitler, a 1962 copy of Hitler, a Study in Tyranny, by Alan Bullock which is highly rated by none other than William L. Shirer on the back page. Also an obscure book I got a while back, Operation Hazalah, an riveting book about a Hungarian Jewish rescue operation (late war Hungary being an interesting facet of the Holocaust) I'd never heard of before.

I'm looking forward to devoting the time to read these (the important ones), which is quite a commitment... In the meantime, they look good on a shelf, "or wherever you stack books"...

MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?

Last edited by Larboard; 01-22-2016 at 03:29 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?
    P
    Many

Read Shirer's book not long after it came out. Was always a classic. Not always Accurate, but great reading.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Got a couple of those pictured above myself. Pinned thread would be great for suggested readings. One of my favorites was Hells Gate by Nash. Can't imagine having to swim that river in winter to escape.

Happy reading. The Bullock biography is still good and it withstood the test of time. Shirer's book was a best seller when I got going, and it has not stood the test of time,
    as his understanding of German history was that in the US government during the war (i.e. 1944) and he was, of course, responding to his own direct experience of the III. Reich as a correspondent for CBS, was it not?

Brian L Davis was a pioneer in the Nazi regalia research, along with Mollo.

I must include the brochure Mollo gave to me in the early 1970s.

Happy reading. The more books you show, the better. And these are thrifty ones, too, unlike the regalia.

The end of the '50s, by the way, is interesting for many reasons. In 1958, the FRG at last undertook an attempt to punish among the tens of thousands and more who more or less got a free pass in the public back lash to the Nuremberg trials and the generalized amnesty that took hold at the latest with the outbreak of the Korean War. There was created at Ludwigsburg a central registry for Nazi crimes and the means to prosecute the guilty. Soon thereafter Eichmann was uncovered in South America and his arrest led to an upswing in interest. And there were also a rise in neo Nazi or ex Nazi hate crimes in the young FRG which aroused attention in the USA.

One of my favorite films, Rosen fuer den Staatsanwalt deals with this shift in public moods in West Germany about the past.

Shirer's book fit into this period. All history is contemporary history. The manner in which we see these things today differs from how they were seen by others in the year Mr. Larboard was born. Nineteen fifty nine was the year I got the colored history of the war written by Churchill (who was still alive, of course) and illustrated with the Hugo Jaeger/Hoffmann colored pictures.

Yes, I see what you're saying about Shirer, and "All history is contemporary history".

Another brilliant nugget I got somewhere the other day (Guns of August I think it was) "History is always written by the victors", who also get to [set the conditions of] "make the peace", however disastrously that turns out, that is the way it is.

Mauser, I remember you mentioning Hells Gate by Nash, that was when I was buying that Stalingrad Trilogy by Glanz (I'll be lucky to ever read that in my lifetime, 2200 pages on Stalingrad I think), anyway, Hell's Gate is an expensive book!

Bu then again the Stalingrad Trilogy (four books actually, the last one is in two volumes) set me back the price of a nice matching 98k bayonet with frog!

MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?Shirer did not really understand what had caused Hitler in the longer story of modern Germany.

Barbara Tuchman was a much more serious and thoughtful scholar.

Glanz is the authority on the Red Army in the USA.

Happy reading.

Sometimes history is written by the victors, and in other cases, it is not.

If you are interested in the philosophy of history and the inner workings of the thing, I can point you towards things to read there, too.

The writing of history is subjective, of course, a fact which causes much cognitive dissonance to persons who are uncomfortable with such a fact.

This is reason to read lots of books and to try and understand their context.

Once more, this effort is often too much for many people, who do not want to think too much about anything.

MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?MORE OLD BOOKS!!! This and that, some classics, GREAT STUFF!!! Pinned Thread on Books?Our perceptions of old things are also very subjective, of course, not the least mine. But I struggle to be aware of my subjectivity, as much as I possibly can.
    My goal with this site is very outspoken, and that is to apply more evidence to these old things than is done elsewhere and to promote a collective effort to
    get at the imponderables.

We live in a world in which authority and hierarchy are, on one level, going down the crapper, whereas on another, new hierarchies and levers of control of what we think and say are heaving into place.

German history is a wonderful subject. Reading about it in depth and breadth is a very worthwhile pursuit.

Having witless fights about the authenticity of regalia and coup counting about heroic collectors being victimized by vampire dealers or the decalcomania mania all bore me to tears.

Happy reading.

Thank you on all counts.

In this case with Shirer, I can see why Bullock wrote his book right afterwards.

I find Tuchman simply amazing from start to finish.

Yes, Glanz is simply amazing in his own "write", pun... I wish I could afford the many books he's written. Seems almost a shame to jump into Stalingrad without reading his prior books covering the subject.

For a look at his bio, what isn't classified anyway...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Glantz

Glanz is a fine, fine scholar, whose opposite number in the UK was John Erickson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast