Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery tubes from a conflict archaeology dig of a German WW2 camp in Finland

Article about: Hello there, might anyone of you have an idea what these tubes once contained and what the texts said. The text on the tube in the upper left corner starts with the word Brillen and ends wit

Jan
    ?

Default Mystery tubes from a conflict archaeology dig of a German WW2 camp in Finland

Hello there, might anyone of you have an idea what these tubes once contained and what the texts said.

The text on the tube in the upper left corner starts with the word Brillen and ends with ... selbe.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery tubes from a conflict archaeology dig of a German WW2  camp in Finland   Mystery tubes from a conflict archaeology dig of a German WW2  camp in Finland  

Mystery tubes from a conflict archaeology dig of a German WW2  camp in Finland  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mystery tubes from a conflict archaeology dig of a German WW2  camp in Finland
    P
    Many

Most likely "Frostschutzsalbe" - cream with a high content of fats, prevents frostbite.

Hello, it would be easier, if you clean the tubes carefully.
    All tubes are for medics and the first two were made in Berlin. Three different ointments. Last one is a Frostschutzsalbe (frost protection ointment).

Jan
    ?

Quote by RKKAFan View Post
    Hello, it would be easier, if you clean the tubes carefully.
    All tubes are for medics and the first two were made in Berlin. Three different ointments. Last one is a Frostschutzsalbe (frost protection ointment).
    I´m slowly getting rid of the dirt, any ideas on how this should be done to save as much as possible of the text on the tubes? I´m currently bathing the items in olive oil to soften up the sand that sticks to the surface.

Best,

Jan

Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

Quote by dimmuborgir95 View Post
    Most likely "Frostschutzsalbe" - cream with a high content of fats, prevents frostbite.

Thank You so much, this was very helpful!!

Best,

Jan

Quote by Jan View Post
    I´m slowly getting rid of the dirt, any ideas on how this should be done to save as much as possible of the text on the tubes?
    Normal mud you can clean with cold water and a sponge. Oil you can remove with oil. Rust can be removed with (low) concentrated ethanedioic acid.

Quote by Jan View Post
    I´m slowly getting rid of the dirt, any ideas on how this should be done to save as much as possible of the text on the tubes? I´m currently bathing the items in olive oil to soften up the sand that sticks to the surface.

Best,

Jan

Best, Jan
    I did it in warm soapy water. Very gently clean off the dirt with a cotton swab, not touching the letters. But in your case it would be difficult.

Jan
    ?

Quote by dimmuborgir95 View Post
    I did it in warm soapy water. Very gently clean off the dirt with a cotton swab, not touching the letters. But in your case it would be difficult.
    Here´s a close up of the word "Berlin" on the very small tube. The surface is as You can see very brittle. Thank you so much for your help!

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery tubes from a conflict archaeology dig of a German WW2  camp in Finland  

I forgot - the top photo - "Brillenglassalbe" , ointment for gasmask glass (from fogging).

On the Russian site you can see a transcript of all German medical tubes:

http://goo.gl/5DHRdN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast