Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Need more info on my ggd, SS officer Josef Kasinger, 21st Skanderbeg division

Article about: Hello guys, Im wondering if any of you know how I can get more info on my gdd and what he did. I already know his back story. His name was Josef Paul Kasinger, he was from Bavaria. He joined

?

I suppose there are family myths that have been created. Ill never know as my grandmas whole fmaily in germany is all practically dead.

?

So he was a non-comissioned SS oberscharfuhrer?

?

I mean, the partisans wouldve taken anything that was worth something to seel later. I wouldnt be suprised. They were also pretty mad at the germans/albanians at that point.

Quote by WillC View Post
    So he was a non-comissioned SS oberscharfuhrer?
    Yes.

Unterscharführer through Sturmscharführer were NCO ranks.

(Out of these, Unterscharführer and Scharführer were JNCOs; Oberscharführer, Hauptscharführer and Sturmscharführer were SNCOs.)

?

Thanks for the info, its really helpful

Quote by WillC View Post
    I mean, the partisans wouldve taken anything that was worth something to seel later. I wouldnt be suprised. They were also pretty mad at the germans/albanians at that point.
    With respect this is just supposition and not based on fact so probably best left at that.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Skanderberg was raised in April 1944 as a Muslim Division and by September 1944 had 6,500 Albanains in it's ranks , they were briefly involved in some very bad anti partisan ops but were disbanded in Oct 44 due to mass desertions which left only 1,300 men in the Divison , they were formed into KG Skanderberg and attached to Prinz Eugen.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

We're certain German ss members sent to the skanderbeg division? Was it just a random occurrence?

Many if not all of the ethnic SS divisions would have had German NCO's and officers. How or why they were selected is not known to me but it was likely just random on who was available at the time. Perhaps someone else will know more.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Most units of Foreign volunteers etc had Reichs Deutsch Officers and NCO's in the Command positions , there was no specific procedure as to how they were allocated it was just who was available at the time of if they had any specific knowledge or language skills regarding the unit they were sent to.

Your Great Grandfather is not mentioned as KIA in the Volksbubd database !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123