Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.

Article about: Caked in dust and full of turn-of-the century treasures, this Paris apartment is like going back in time. Having lain untouched for seven decades the abandoned home was discovered three year

?

Default News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.

Caked in dust and full of turn-of-the century treasures, this Paris apartment is like going back in time.

Having lain untouched for seven decades the abandoned home was discovered three years ago after its owner died aged 91.

The woman who owned the flat, a Mrs De Florian, had fled for the south of France before the outbreak of the Second World War.

She never returned and in the 70 years since, it looks like no-one had set foot inside.

Back in time: The flat near the Trinité church in Paris between the Pigalle red light district and Opera

The property was found near a church in the French capital's 9th arrondissement, between Pigalle red light district and Opera. Experts were tasked with drawing up an inventory of her possessions which included a painting by the 19th century Italian artist Giovanni Boldini.

One expert said it was like stumbling into the castle of Sleeping Beauty, where time had stood still since 1900. 'There was a smell of old dust,' said Olivier Choppin-Janvry, who made the discovery.

More...
    Northern Ireland gaol where Republican inmates staged a hunger strike during the Troubles is to be turned into a luxury hotel and Spa
    'Ich bin ein Berliner': Fifty years after President Kennedy's trip to Berlin, stunning black and white photos immortalise the day
    But he said his heart missed a beat when he caught sight of a stunning tableau of a woman in a pink muslin evening dress.

The painting was by Boldini and the subject a beautiful Frenchwoman who turned out to be the artist's former muse and Mrs de Florian’s grandmother, Marthe de Florian, a beautiful French actress and socialite of the Belle Époque.

Under a thick layer of dusk lay a treasure trove of turn-of-the-century objects including a painting by the 19th century Italian artist Giovanni Boldini

Untouched: The cobweb-filled flat was discovered in the 9th arrondissement of Paris

Treasure trove: Behind the door, under a thick layer of dusk lay a treasure trove of turn-of-the-century objects, including the Boldini painting that sold for £1.78million.
    It was a magic moment. One could see that the buyer loved the painting; he paid the price of passion,' said Mr Ottavi.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.   News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.  

News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.   News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.  

News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.  
    Attached Images Attached Images News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.  News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.  News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement News of sealed French flat opened after 70 yrs.
    P
    Many

?

I thought this may spark a bit of interest I really love this story. This is one of my fantasies, to find a sealed time-capsule from long ago, with a fary tale-like romanticism.

Giovani Boldini was an incredible painter as well and high on my list of favorite artists.

A miracle the Parisians didn't loot the place for everything in it including the dust....over 70 years? Even the German's didn't peek inside?? Someone should alert the Vatican....

Porky Pig and Mickey Mouse dolls next to a stuffed Ostrich?? This woman Was a wee bit on the unusual side...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Amazing! It reminds me of exploration footage shot inside the wreck of the Titanic.

?

Wow.....makes you really wonder what other hidden Gems are lurking out there. That Mickey mouse doll is killer!

And look at that Dressing table! It looks like something Marie Antoinette would have used! The rest of the room's contents must have equaled or more the Boldini painting!(Which is amazing just by itself!) I wonder why she never returned? Does anyone know why?
    William

Very cool pics and info Dean

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Thanks for the comments , gentlemen.
    I was truly elated to know these things can still exist!
    William , I don't know any added info on the woman, sadly. I haven't tried to do any further research however, so there may be something out there. Her furniture and other items are very high class for the era, as she was an upper class citizen at the time.
    Mo, I agree, the Mickey and porky dolls are great! I'm sure they are very valuable in their own right.
    Eric, thanks, bro
    Last edited by Dean; 10-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.

?

When I was a teenager, about 15 years old, I discovered an abandoned home down the street from my house. I crawled through a window and the home was fully furnished, but it looked as though a whole family just left everything behind during he 1950's or 60's! There was food in the fridge, canned goods in the pantry and rooms with beds and clothes in the closets. I even liberated some nice pullovers
    Cars in the garage, in back.. I found one room full of old newspapers from the 1930's-40's. I kept some with titles like," the Huns invaded Poland!" And the "the Japs are are on the run!" And stuff like that. I wish I still had these.

Aww,c'mon, Dean..you Know you would have bid on the Ostrich...lol

(I would have... )
    William

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast