Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Operation Cerebus 'The Channel Dash'

Article about: by Scout OT I know, but speaking of docks; I always thought Op Chariot exceptionally devious. St Nazaire is another absolutely fascinating and couragous raid !! Nick

Default Re: Operation Cerebus 'The Channel Dash'

There is some great art work around too. This picture depicts the Swordfish of Lt Commander Esmonde VC.

'Heavy anti-aircraft fire from the German ships added to their peril, and Esmonde's plane possibly sustained a direct hit from anti-aircraft fire that destroyed most of one of his port wings (the Swordfish, an antiquated aircraft made of laminated cloth stretched over a wooden frame, was a biplane). Esmonde led his flight through a screen of the enemy destroyers and other small vessels protecting the battleships. He was still some 2,700 metres from his target when he was hit by a Focke-Wulf Fw 190, resulting in his aircraft bursting into flames and crashing into the sea. The remaining aircraft continued the gallant attack, but all were shot down by enemy fighters. Only five of the squadron's 18 men flying that day survived the action, and four of these survivors were wounded. Of the survivors, four officers received the Distinguished Service Order, and the lone enlisted survivor was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.'
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Woolgar; 05-11-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The Fleet Air Arm Museum

Well worth a visit!

The Channel Dash - Operation Fuller

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Whilst not related, where were the E & U-boats during D-Day !!??!!

Quote by greimers View Post
    Whilst not related, where were the E & U-boats during D-Day !!??!!
    The ships actually sailed from Brest in the early hours of the night and passed through the straights during the day. Thats when most of the action took place

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 05-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.

?

Sad about the Prinz Eugen, I have an original snapshot of the ship taken by my uncle who was part of a Royal Marine force who were assigned to accompany the large remaining ships to ports whereby the Americans were to take them over, I also have a KM dagger and portepee from one of its officers, given to my uncle before the Americans took over, He was also given the hangers, the Naval belt, a luger in holster, some cap tallies, two rifle cleaning kits, a sailors heavy wool jumper with eagle and a leather pea coat, and some insignias, all i have are the kits , insignias, all the rest disappeared apart from the jumper and coat, my dad used to wear them to work, then they went as well

Wow Dave , there were some teasures there mate ! Can you post a scan of the snapshot please ?

Nick

?

sorry, i cant, i dont have the neccesary bits and pieces, but im working on it

'Cerebus' was a strategic withdrawal for the Germans brought by the fact that the ships would eventually be destroyed by air raids if left in French ports-while as stated previously they survived the active attacks by British forces during the running of the Channel, mines effectively helped destroy 'Gniesenau' as while undergoing extensive repairs she was bombed and wrecked in drydock-and more resources had to be expended on repairing 'Scharnhorst' before her eventual sinking in late 1943-while seen as an affront and insult for the British armed forces at the time it was a greater loss to the KM as an active fighting force.

Yes you are correct. Apart from the toll on the seamen and dockworkers, the daily bombing of Brest was going to eventually sink those ships. They had to get out of there PDQ

Nick

?

OT I know, but speaking of docks; I always thought Op Chariot exceptionally devious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast