Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Real guns of Navarone

Article about: Real guns of Navarone 1939 -1945 Hel Peninsula Fortified Area The Hel Fortified Area (Polish: Rejon Umocniony Hel) was a set of Polish fortifications, constructed on the Hel Peninsula in nor

?

Default Real guns of Navarone

Real guns of Navarone
    1939 -1945 Hel Peninsula Fortified Area

The Hel Fortified Area (Polish: Rejon Umocniony Hel) was a set of Polish fortifications, constructed on the Hel Peninsula in northern Poland, in close proximity to the interwar border of Poland and the Third Reich. It was created in 1936, upon a decree of President Ignacy Moscicki. It covered most part of the peninsula, and during Polish September Campaign, it was the last place of Poland to surrender to the invading Wehrmacht.

During German occupation of Poland, Hel, renamed into German name Hela, was a major training facility of the U-boat crews. Almost immediately after cessation of hostilities, the Germans began works in the base. Among others, a Schleswig-Holstein battery was built for three 40.6 cm SK C/34 guns ("Adolfguns"). These guns shot missiles up to 1030 kilograms, and their range was up to 56 kilometers. In late stages of the war, the Germans began construction of a field airport, but it was never completed. Furthermore, the Wehrmacht added radar stations Würzburg-Riese, as Hel was supposed to defend the main naval port of Gdynia, renamed into Gotenhafen. In the night of April 3–4, 1945, the Germans carried out Operation Walpurgisnacht, during which thousands of soldiers and refugees were transported from Gdynia to Hel. The German soldiers on the peninsula repelled several Soviet attacks and surrendered on May 14, 1945, six days after Germany had capitulated.

The "film" uses the original German songs and marches Navy German

See also:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...d-area-326064/

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBD5BLnSpyA
    Last edited by Dabi26; 07-25-2013 at 01:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real guns of Navarone
    P
    Many

Default Re: Real guns of Navarone

Looks quite an interesting place, thanks for showing us
    Ben

I have some relic German helmets that came from the Hel area. The history is indeed fascinating and I would love to go there one day.

Thanks for showing! It's encouraging to see these fortifications maintained and open to the public...!
    cheers, Glenn