Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Records/Pictures for SS member (ID'ed Helmet, SS-KL?)

Article about: Hello All, I've been striking out with finding any information on a SS member "Jos" (Short for Josef/Joseph) Gotz. I've found 2 Josef Gotz: 1 is assignment is SS-KL Ausch. in 1941-

Default Records/Pictures for SS member (ID'ed Helmet, SS-KL?)

Hello All,

I've been striking out with finding any information on a SS member "Jos" (Short for Josef/Joseph) Gotz. I've found 2 Josef Gotz: 1 is assignment is SS-KL Ausch. in 1941-42. The other was an Officer, I think this one may belong to the first.

I am referencing this on an M40 SS Helmet made in late 41/early 42 single decal and has that name written inside the liner that was brought home by one of my Great Uncles, I believe from May-June 1945 while in Czech. at the end of the War.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got about 25 hours into this project now and have turned up very little.

GOTZ - Załoga SS KL Auschwitz - Pamięć.pl - portal edukacyjny IPN

and Standort- und Kommandanturbefehle des Konzentrationslagers Auschwitz 1940-1945

Have been pretty much the only trace I have found on this member.

-Pegasus6

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Records/Pictures  for SS member (ID'ed Helmet, SS-KL?)
    P
    Many

Default Name and remains of SS Shield.

Records/Pictures  for SS member (ID'ed Helmet, SS-KL?)Records/Pictures  for SS member (ID'ed Helmet, SS-KL?)

Alright, did I post this in the wrong spot? Or is everyone else coming up as blank as I had... ? Thank you in advance everyone.

VR
    -Pegasus6

Not an easy answer to the question. There are published lists of SS officers, that might be worth pursuing. There is probably no way to know that the Gotz you identified had anything to do with this helmet. Without some other evidence link such as the location the helmet was recovered from, it may be a impossible task.

Lightbulb

Anderson,

Thank you for the reply. As I have done my research (about 48 research hours now) I have not wanted to put my thoughts out there as a bias. But here goes…

Facts:
    1. This helmet came from Western Czechoslovakia between May-June 1945. (It has been in my families' possession ever since and will remain)
    2. Model of helmet M40 (late 41/early 42 production)
    3. SS insignia decal
    4. Jos Gotz written inside (short for Josef)
    5. A Josef Gotz worked at Auschwitz 1941-43
    6. Josef Gotz who worked at Auschwitz was born in 1920 in Nuedek, Czechoslovakia (Western Czech.) Was an SS member beginning 1938. awarded wound badge + Czech Occupation medal.
    7. Auschwitz was abandoned and had most guards/prisoners able to move relocated west beginning in December of 1943. By the time the Russians arrived January 27 1945 it was only prisoners unable to be moved all German personnel gone.
    8. My uncle never saw the Russian Troops in his time in Czech. (lends to say it was not carried from the Eastern front as a souvenir)
    9. Czech. Was not occupied the same as other territories since it was sovereign pre-WWII. A large amount of German Soldiers blended right back into society and were even hired and worked for the US military and transitional government immediately following WWII.
    10. Many German troops evaded the eastern front, would prefer capture to the Western Allies, many blended right in and ditched equipment if possible.

Thoughts...

9. So the conjecture here to prove against Akums razor, and going with likeliness “”-
    a. How many Jos/Joseph Gotz were in the SS?
    b. Of those, whom would have been around and issued an M40? (made in late 1941/early42)
    c. How many of them had any reason in the time-frame to have that M40 in Western Czech. Prior to May 1945.
    d. What SS units were even fighting in the region to make the above possible?

10. The simplest answer is this is not a coincidence… SS Josef Gotz, listed of Auschwitz- had the times, locations, motive and abilities to have gone home sometime after his assignment at Auschwitz, ditched his equipment and blended back into society? There are a lot of coincidences “” to prove this was not the case. Thus my quest to find out as much information as I can...

So now I've created a bias for anyone to provide their insight and additional research but those are the questions and thoughts I have.

-Michael
    aka
    Pegasus6

Interesting story and entirely plausible. And one probably no one else would challenge unless they knew something else about Gotz. That may be as far as you can go, possible but not provable unless a service number was on the helmet.

I am hoping there is more information out there that I have not found...

I have contacted the Deutschen Dienststelle (WASt) and made an inquiry as well with the IPN and other various government/non-government organizations/researchers. But I have not had any success as of yet.

Has anyone been able to provide any additional information or searched?

-Peg6

Bump, Anyone? Striking out on 3 forums at the moment...

I remember the Germania Regiment leaving Prague to Pilsen, they were attacked by resistance.

US Troops were in Pilsen.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast