Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reich Eagle

Article about: Hi all,this may sound naive of me but is there a particular significance in the way the reich eagle looks to the left or right?. Just like to say,as a new collector and member that this site

Default Reich Eagle

Hi all,this may sound naive of me but is there a particular significance in the way the reich eagle looks to the left or right?. Just like to say,as a new collector and member that this site is 1st class.Respect to you all...All the best
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reich Eagle
    P
    Many

Default Re: Reich Eagle

Hi Mark, and welcome. Its not a naive question at all, in fact I doubt if many people are aware, but it is sometimes a bit of a mystery.

Originally, the design was to show the eagle's head facing to its right when used as a national symbol, and to its left when used as a Nazi Party symbol, but this convention was not always followed

Most government and Party buildings, and some other architectural projects such as Autobahn bridges built during the Nazi period featured the Reichs Eagle as a prominent decoration. In spite of a series of proclamations and orders from the Allied Occupation Forces in 1945-46, forbidding the wearing or display of Nazi uniforms or insignia, and ordering the removal of Nazi monuments, statues, and street signs, a number of these Reichs Eagles remain today (most are missing their swastikas, but not all). Almost all of the insignia you will see has the eagles head facing to the right. a few exceptions that I can think of are the police sleeve eagles, and the Luftwaffe Recon clasp( although that only has the head, not the whole body)Hope this piece of trivia helps, however, I'm sure there's someone else out there with a bit more info.

And how about the building in Munich in 1934 an existing building at Hanfstaenglstraße 16-20 was converted to a swastika shape, which is still plainly visible from the air.
    Attached Images Attached Images Reich Eagle  Reich Eagle 

thanks for the info john

Hi John,thank you very much for that! most enlightening and interesting indeed. I likes me trivia . The building in the shape of the swasty is fantastic! .I`m surprised they havent demolished it even if you can only see it by air,but glad they havent.
    Much appreciated John
    Mark

here some detail of the Reich eagle !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reich Eagle   Reich Eagle  

Blimey where did that come from Pierre

wonderful

Hey Pierre thanks for that! it looks very interesting but makes no sense to me unfortunately

i take in the french book : Gott mit uns Les boucles de ceinture Allemandes 1870-1945 by Francis Catella Great reference book for the german buckles

Pierre
    Last edited by Pierre N; 05-25-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Pierre is saying that State eagles had their head look to their right (our left) and that NSDAP eagles had their head's looking to their left (our right). Have a quick lookie....I'll post a pic of my railroad eagle (state) and then I'll post a pic of my political flag pole "topper" as well as a shot of my political leader's gorget.....You'll see the difference from a state piece (railroad eagle) and the political pieces (topper and gorget).

Cheers!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reich Eagle   Reich Eagle  

Reich Eagle   Reich Eagle  

Reich Eagle   Reich Eagle  

Rob
    That's some nice hardware you got there. Very nice, I love the railway eagles

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast