Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Research Books

Article about: Bearing in mind that you can't beat hands on experience, what 3 books would you recommend for a basic but broad based reference library for the collector of T.R items? I know there loads out

OKW
    ?

Default Research Books

Bearing in mind that you can't beat hands on experience, what 3 books would you recommend for a basic but broad based reference library for the collector of T.R items? I know there loads out there and you could spend as much on the books as the real thing, but what would be your choice for a newbie collector.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Research Books

The Foreman document books are a must. But as for a complete ref book's not really out there. You're better off finding where your main interest(s) lie & then getting books on that subject. The forum is the best reference book you'll get though. Stewy S

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    surely books are a thing of the past with the invent of internet forums, etc, type in any info and its there at the click of a button. just my penny.
    Not when you can read Phil. I know what you're saying but good books still have a part to play in this hobby. Concise books don't really give enough info. They're ok if you want to see what a PAB,ROAG or IAB looks like generally. But they don't give enough detail as to how determine originality. Stewy S

This is a really tough question.

Detlev Niemanns price guide book is worth having (not for the price part as that is too soon outdated) but it gives a good guide for most awards from pre WW1 to 1945.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    This is a really tough question.

Detlev Niemanns price guide book is worth having (not for the price part as that is too soon outdated) but it gives a good guide for most awards from pre WW1 to 1945.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,when i got Niemanns guide. I was disappointed,it was hyped so much,like it was the Holy Grail. Maybe i expected too much,but i think it's quite vague. Stewy S

I bought the 2nd edition. I liked it becuase there was stuff in it which was new to me. The pre Third Reich items were especially an education to me. But it will only tell you what something looks like and not how to tell a good one from a fake.

I think for any begginer (It was how I started) is to learn what badge/dagger/uniform/cap etc is what. From there you progress on how to tell good from bad.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Agree Ade , Detlevs book contains such a depth of info on German awards , it's got ot be a must , although Stewy is right , colour photos etc would have improved it but it's such a massive work the cost probably precluded that
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

First decide what area you are most interested in, daggers, helmets, medals, branch of service, etc. then estimate a budget of what you will be able to spend, then buy some reference books on the area you wish to start collecting. Nicer items are expensive, but buy what you like and above all have fun.

?

If you don`t mind a trip down memory lane here is a price list from about 1960, my wage as an electrician then was about $2.50 an hour,things were cheaper back then.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Research Books   Research Books  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

OKW
    ?

I just got a couple of books by Bender off the worlds favourite market place. One of them on cuff titles in which there is a photo from time life of a 17yr old new yorker collecting cloth items, included were fake cuff titles, the war wasn't even over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast