Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rommel - a new controversial film

Article about: In todays independant, a film showing a different side to Rommel Propaganda, war, and the truth about Rommel - Europe, World - The Independent

Default Rommel - a new controversial film

In todays independant, a film showing a different side to Rommel

Propaganda, war, and the truth about Rommel - Europe, World - The Independent
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rommel - a new controversial film
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rommel - a new controversial film

Intersting, I dont think Rommel would have accepted the 'sonderKomando' SS in North Africa. Rommel had respect for his Actions in africa.To me it sounds like there trying to tie Rommel to Nazi war crimes.

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    In todays independant, a film showing a different side to Rommel

Propaganda, war, and the truth about Rommel - Europe, World - The Independent
    Rommel`s family must be going thru a bad stage at this point. This can leave a bad mark in rommel`s name and reputation.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

From everything I've read and heard Rommel was a decent man, he certainly had respect from my family members who were involved in the war in north Africa.

Personally, I think that they are trying to put a "contraversial" spin on this in order to enhance the publicity for their movie.

This smacks of pursuit of the mighty dollar rather than the quest for any great new historical insight.

?

Another example of corporate whores going for "bums on seats" over true, historical facts. And ruining the reputation of a respected man long after he has passed is a pathetic way to make money. The producers have got exactly what they wanted, ie mass media coverage of a controversial story. For them, its party time whilst Rommels family will be left to suffer as the reputation of their ancestor is tarnished by the work of a few greedy people with no morals. Sad.

Is there any protes being made about this?? I think this would require online signature action along with a protest of everyone, in order not to allow this to proceed.

?

I have read many books over the years on Erwin Rommel ( currently reading Rommel by Desmond Young ) and the Africa Campaign and I find the Ideal that he was involved with the sonderKomando or any other of the elite SS forces a farce Rommel despised the SS and everything they stood for and one more than one occasion tried to have SS officers and enlisted men brought up on charges.At one point had even ordered all SS troops out of Milan and thought the SS as political soldiers had no business in the Middle Eastern theater of war. As to his association with Hitler in the early years Rommel respected the man as he stood behind the Army but as the war progressed and the tides of war changed so did the relationship between Hitler and Rommel as Hitler became unapproachable . I could go on and on about this subject and quote many sources of valuable information and source material I would like to know were they got there source material from to do this movie and what they based there research on a gypsy with a crystal ball perhaps .He is and was without a doubt in my mind one of the most well respected Generals/Fieldmarshals to serve in any theater of war .

Regards Mark K