Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

size of german, divisions, brigades, armys,

Article about: i'm doing some research into the size of the individual army's divisions, brigades, ect 1939-1945, for example how many men made up the ss panzer division that were stationed on the outskirt

Default size of german, divisions, brigades, armys,

i'm doing some research into the size of the individual army's divisions, brigades, ect 1939-1945, for example how many men made up the ss panzer division that were stationed on the outskirts of arnhem, at the time of the drop? or how many men made up the southern army that invaded russia and ended up at sevastopol? hope my question makes sense? i have looked up these numbers in variouse books ect and get some really different figures from different authers,,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement size of german, divisions, brigades, armys,
    P
    Many

Default Re: size of german, divisions, brigades, armys,

There are vast differences between the types of divisions and the dates stated-generally the establishment strengths of early war units are far larger at the start of the war than the establishment size at the end-manpower shortages meant that firepower was substituted instead and the divisions were streamlined-then one has to consider the actual strength as no units remained at the establishment numbers for very long after they were in action-the German forces that attacked the Soviet Union in June 1941 were pretty much at full strength but by winter all units had been run down and they never fully recovered-all were understrength from then on-even the forces used in occupation or facing potential invasion were constantly 'milked' of troops to provide replacements for active fronts-in June 1944 the 60 divisions in the West were more like 30 when compared to the Allies.

thank you for replying, what i meant was at outbreak of hostilities 1939 for example how many men would make a division????, and how was it broke down into numbers regarding brigades units ect,

Martin

Have you seen these sites - may not answer all of the questions but may be of interest to you

Axis History Factbook: Home

German Armed Forces

Regards

Richie

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Martin

Have you seen these sites - may not answer all of the questions but may be of interest to you

Axis History Factbook: Home

German Armed Forces

Regards

Richie
    thanks richie, makes for some interesting reading