Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Fallschirmjager Penal Regiment

Article about: by Paul E Don't know what that means Ned ? The book by Rolf Michaelis is essential for a history of this unit !!! Hi Paul, You state that the battalion was formed from a 'penal unit' ( Bewah

Default Re: SS Fallschirmjager Penal Regiment

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Don't know what that means Ned ? The book by Rolf Michaelis is essential for a history of this unit !!!
    Hi Paul,

You state that the battalion was formed from a 'penal unit' ( Bewahrungs-Soldaten). This is NOT a penal unit but a DISCIPLINARY unit. The Dirlewanger division was formed with elements of penal units,(Murderers, rapists, theives and deserters).

Bewahrungs-soldaten were merely disciplinary cases,(Late for guard duty, asleep on guard duty, listening to the BBC home service etc.) that were frowned upon by the draconian SS rules.

It should also be pointed out that some of the troops in the battalion were W-SS VOLUNTEERS, not drafted serious criminals as you describe with the word 'penal' or as behwarungs-soldaten, which are mere 'defaulters' in my book.

I'm sure that if any survivors of this battalion are still out there alive they will not be happy with you description of them as a 'penal battalion', and that is why i stand by my previous post.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Fallschirmjager Penal Regiment
    P
    Many

Seen the book on Amazon, thanks for your comments guys.

Looks like a great subject

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Paul,

You state that the battalion was formed from a 'penal unit' ( Bewahrungs-Soldaten). This is NOT a penal unit but a DISCIPLINARY unit. The Dirlewanger division was formed with elements of penal units,(Murderers, rapists, theives and deserters).

Bewahrungs-soldaten were merely disciplinary cases,(Late for guard duty, asleep on guard duty, listening to the BBC home service etc.) that were frowned upon by the draconian SS rules.

It should also be pointed out that some of the troops in the battalion were W-SS VOLUNTEERS, not drafted serious criminals as you describe with the word 'penal' or as behwarungs-soldaten, which are mere 'defaulters' in my book.

I'm sure that if any survivors of this battalion are still out there alive they will not be happy with you description of them as a 'penal battalion', and that is why i stand by my previous post.

Regards, Ned.
    Ned i used the word Penal as a direct quote from the book where he describes the formation of the unit where many of the men came from the SS and Polizei Penal camp Danzig / Motzkau, which was effectively the SS Prison for all types of offenders guilty of serious crimes or disciplinary offences.

Essentially they were soldiers who were within the SS Penal system.

Over the years i have contacted , interviewed amd met over 800 German veterans including some from the SS Fallschirmjager including one of the commanders SS Sturmbannfuhrer Siegfried Milius so personnaly from this experience i don't think that they would be particulary be bothered by the use of Penal or disciplinary but that's my opnion only,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by pzb14 View Post
    Not all soldiers (from '44), only the soldiers which were on probation were not allowed to wear ss insignia and medals. I have the book from Michaelis (it's in german). They were used in more mission than in croatia "Rösselsprung". Here some information about commanders and history.

Br Pzb14
    Of course they had many more battles. I sad the one I know, and for which I think is the most important. But I didn't know that some soldiers were allowed to wear insignia. Well, you learn something every day!

Thanks for your reply Paul, i understand and acknowledge your opinion.

Regards, ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Paul,

Regards, Ned.
    Agree on that , sry my english is not that good to differntiate between such words. It was just a hint to see this book. Of course you are right, also volunteers of LSSAH and other SS units were seen at 500/600 - not only "Bewährungssoldaten".
    And I also agree that the history on this very intersting unit cannot be written within a few lines.

Br Pzb14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2