Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS grave regulation manual?

Article about: by stuka f And the helmets that where on them... Can't imagine anyone taking such a mark home...and as the most of them came into hostile territory, I don't they where left as they where! A

Hans Klocker
    ?

Default SS grave regulation manual?

Hello History and Research Forum,
    As I have been looking at my photo collection I was struck by the variations of SS grave markers: standard Christian cross(with or without SS markings), Iron Cross shape (with or without Christian Cross) and the Toten rune/Death Rune or the Tyr runic grave markers. While I can see these as possible Christian, Athiest=Gottlos, and 'pagan'= Gottglaubig religious or secular designations---I have been wondering for a long time just how gravemarkers for the SS in particular, were regulated. While I can see how facts on the ground will defy regulations, I cannot imagine there not being written regulations and manual handbook that addressed what the SS leadership wanted in theory as SS gravemarkers.
    I wonder what type of booklet such regulations would be in?
    Does anyone know such a title?
    Or who was supposed to instruct and enforced such regulations?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has an idea or theory.
    -HK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS grave regulation manual?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: SS grave regulation manual?

Hi HK, I have never heard of a manual?

These grave markers were made up at small unit level. I think a lot of it would have to do with the attitude of the CO of the unit doing the burials? If he was "hard core" SS, the chances are a Christian cross might not of been used. I am sure the ones shown in the photo would meet with Himmler's approval.

One only has to look at the Heer or other branches of the armed forces to see how grave markers varied in design.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi, I do know of one or two in collections. They have also, surprise, surprise, been faked out of old timber. I know someone who bought several which turned out to be fake.

Cheers, Ade.

Hans Klocker
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi HK, I have never heard of a manual?

These grave markers were made up at small unit level. I think a lot of it would have to do with the attitude of the CO of the unit doing the burials? If he was "hard core" SS, the chances are a Christian cross might not of been used. I am sure the ones shown in the photo would meet with Himmler's approval.

One only has to look at the Heer or other branches of the armed forces to see how grave markers varied in design.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade,
    so if it was at the small unit level (on the ground, so to speak) I still can't shake the hunch that Himmler being himmler would not have had ...if not regulations written up, then at least strong suggestions written up?

Perhaps on another tack, Supposing there was such a regulation/suggestion manual written up for any of the forces...what regulation/manual would it be more likely to be found in?

Thanks,
    HK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS grave regulation manual?  

Knowing Himmler, I sure he would have taken an interest and made his thoughts known somewhere.

I would suggest you write to the German War Graves association.

Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V. - Arbeit für den Frieden

I would think they would know the answer regarding a manual on the subject. I am sure it was written down somewhere as a basic guide. Of, course it might only stipulate the details to be entered and not a design per se.

Cheers, Ade.

Hans Klocker
    ?

I have the theory that any overtly "nazi" looking grave was fair game for being destroyed by angry locals in aggreived formerly vanquished nations. Then the allies MUST have removed any Iron Crossed with swaz Grave markers during occupation era(--and so some would have fallen into trophy seeking hands). After all what do you think happened to the official SS Friedhofs created in the East? They are nonexistent=They must have been bulldozed with prejudice and alacrity in Slavic lands.

And the helmets that where on them...
    Can't imagine anyone taking such a mark home...and as the most of them came into hostile territory, I don't they where left as they where!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hans Klocker
    ?

Ah yes, while I dont begrudge the Volksbund my every 3 month solicitation for funds, I did find that they were less than helpful after I answered them honestly that I was not a family member of any deceased soldiers. While I tried to emphasize my historical interests, I suspect they pegged me a "collector," as they took pains to ask me repeat questions over a few months, and in the end, I learned nothing. They have every right to be focused on family, but as I said--I learned nothing and have doubts they would be much help to me. Maybe I just had bad luck with them.

Quote by Hans Klocker View Post
    I have the theory that any overtly "nazi" looking grave was fair game for being destroyed by angry locals in aggreived formerly vanquished nations. Then the allies MUST have removed any Iron Crossed with swaz Grave markers during occupation era(--and so some would have fallen into trophy seeking hands). After all what do you think happened to the official SS Friedhofs created in the East? They are nonexistent=They must have been bulldozed with prejudice and alacrity in Slavic lands.
    Sorry , posted at the same time , but do seem to agree.
    I don't think a mark would have stand very much longer in Belgium.
    However we have 6 cemetery's for German soldiers.But far more guys died then those who are burried at those cemetery's.

cheers
    |<ris

I know about a reulation in France, after the war the stones , sign's or what ever( no swas!!)was placed on a grave of a German soldier had to be black or grey, the white color was for the allieds.

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast