Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which SS Reference Book is better? Need Advice

Article about: I was wondering which books are an excellent source for reference in regards to collecting? I have been tossing around 2 titles: 1). Uniforms of the Waffen-SS. Micheal Beaver. All volumes Un

Default Re: Which SS Reference Book is better? Need Advice

Hi

if you want a one stop book on cloth insignia of the ss then a great start is the book by Angolia.

I have a few books on the subject so if you want Pm me with the areas your interested in and I can list some for ya.

HPL is spot on when he says you can't have one book that covers the lot. each one has it's own merits some good and some bad. Personally i would leave Mollo's stuff alone as there are more definitive works out there.

cheers

tony
    Last edited by spandau; 10-16-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    You could try messaging Friederich Berthold and asking him....I would think if anyone would know the best reference materials, it would be him.
    A topic as complicated at this cannot be addressed by a single author in a single work.
    The most recent Beaver and co book treats insignia, but the subject of the SS defies a short cut, a quick fix or something that negates the complexity that is inherent to it.
    I learn something each day and I started more or less in the early 1960s.
    damit, basta.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21_TopographieDesTerrors2010_3fb3d667e8.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	411925Name:  61FTgxee05L._SS500_.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  67.6 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	elite-volk-und-fuehrer_9783486709360.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	411927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11439289.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	411928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-12.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	411929Name:  41waqPZH4SL._SS500_.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  26.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	411931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitledx.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	411932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitledxc.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	411933I guess the Ulrich Needhams book as well as the Beaver and Co. insignia book will do much for insignia collectors, but the things make no sense at all without a knowledge of the organization, itself, in its variety and complexity.
    I also got the Vienna SS book on this last trip, and it, together with the book I described elsewhere, contain really excellent analyses of the SS as an organization, but not the Waffen SS, per se. These are all German, of course, and I have neither the Ulrich of this and the Beaver books. They are less of a priority for me, though the former will likely boost the value of my junk. How odd.
    In any case, no serious person can embark on all of this without adequate preparation. That is, if you want to collect this material and move and shake among some with experience, then you have to help yourself first before others will help you.
    If one is dabbling, an amateur and un serious, as are many, to be sure, then the Schiffer books give you a false sense of surety and insight that is misleading.
    damit, basta.

Name:  411930d1333218084-which-ss-reference-book-is-better-need-advice-41waqpzh4sl._ss500_.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  26.7 KBThis work is truly astonishing and contains so much material of a very subtle and interesting variety, that it is an absolute must. I have a thing for Vienna and its Nazis as a result of a long relationship with the place, and this woman has done a spectacular job. It is really a book I wish I had written.
    damit, basta.

Quote by spandau View Post
    Hi

if you want a one stop book on cloth insignia of the ss then a great start is the book by Angolia.

I have a few books on the subject so if you want Pm me with the areas your interested in and I can list some for ya.

HPL is spot on when he says you can't have one book that covers the lot. each one has it's own merits some good and some bad. Personally i would leave Mollo's stuff alone as there are more definitive works out there.

cheers

tony
    Dear Colleague, I respect you very much in all things, but in this one item might I dissent in my assessment that the Angolia book has many flaws. It is also true it contains a lot of material, but also many errors.

And, in my view, Mollo still sets the standard for the SS as an organization, even if the Schiffer books and such are glossy and superficially impressive....

The Beaver books do not explain clearly the evolution of the SS as an organization and link this clearly to regalia. They are impressive, but Schiffer has NO EDITORIAL PROCESS. Good books need lots of editing to make them work. I do this for a living, thus I say it.

By the way, I bought the Feldmuetze book in Germany, and it is very well done, save for the author might use 40% less adverbs and adjectives.

Otherwise, the work is impressive and I am sure useful.
    damit, basta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12