Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Units

Article about: Chaps, does anyone know what SS units would have been deployed to Estonia and the Gdanks area? Many thanks Ben

Default SS Units

Chaps, does anyone know what SS units would have been deployed to Estonia and the Gdanks area?

Many thanks

Ben
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Units
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Units

Ben the SS units fighting in Estonia in 1944 were III SS Panzer Korps with the following under command at various times , SS Panzer Grenadier Brigade 4 " Nederland , SS Panzer Grenadier Divison 11 " Nordland " , 20th Waffen Grenadier Divison der SS ( Estnische no 1 ) , SS Sturmbrigade "Wallonie " , Kampfgruppe of SS Sturmbrigade " Langemarke ", SS Vielfachter Batterie 521 , SS Panzer Brigade " Gross".

Not sure about Gdansk do you mean early war or the 1945 fighting fighting ?

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hey Paul that is great thanks mate, in ref to Gdansk, any time really. I know its a long shot would anyone have any pics of any of these SS units in them theatre of ops? Especially the men wearing or pics showing the belt buckles they are wearing?
    Ben

The first SS unit to fight at Danzig/Gdansk (at the very start of WW2) was, of course, the SS-Heimwehr Danzig.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The first SS unit to fight at Danzig/Gdansk (at the very start of WW2) was, of course, the SS-Heimwehr Danzig.
    That is very, very and again very interesting
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    That is very, very and again very interesting
    I know I had it coming for stating the obvious...

I know I had it coming for stating the obvious...
    No really my friend, have a look at the SS GZM M1/131 thread in the buckle forum, if you read the last message by me you will understand why this info means alot to me
    Ben

Was the SS-Heimwehr Danzig named for fighting in Danzig or was it a unit made up of locals from that area?
    Ben

Sorry guys, just found my answer on Wikipedia

"SS Heimwehr "Danzig" was an SS unit established in the Free City of Danzig (today Gdańsk and environs, Poland) before the Second World War. It fought with the German army against the Polish Army during the invasion of Poland. After this it became part of the 3rd SS Division Totenkopf and ceased to exist as an independent unit."
    Ben

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Ben the SS units fighting in Estonia in 1944 were III SS Panzer Korps with the following under command at various times , SS Panzer Grenadier Brigade 4 " Nederland , SS Panzer Grenadier Divison 11 " Nordland " , 20th Waffen Grenadier Divison der SS ( Estnische no 1 ) , SS Sturmbrigade "Wallonie " , Kampfgruppe of SS Sturmbrigade " Langemarke ", SS Vielfachter Batterie 521 , SS Panzer Brigade " Gross".

Not sure about Gdansk do you mean early war or the 1945 fighting fighting ?

cheers

Paul
    Paul do you think it is possible that this unit could have fought in Estonia as part of the 3 SS Panzer Korp?

SS Heimwehr "Danzig" was an SS unit established in the Free City of Danzig (today Gdańsk and environs, Poland) before the Second World War. It fought with the German army against the Polish Army during the invasion of Poland. After this it became part of the 3rd SS Division Totenkopf and ceased to exist as an independent unit.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast