Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

The story of SS Rottenführer Günter Prange

Article about: Very cool, a great little project! Could you perhaps PM me your translators contact details and costs? I might send him a couple of FP that I have.

Default Re: The story of SS Rottenführer Günter Prange

Quote by Monuir View Post
    "Soldiers from the Leibstandarte murdered 49 Jewish refugees near Lake Maggiore, who had fled there after the German takeover. The murders happened between 15 and 24 September. Some of the victims had their feet and hands tied and were drowned."

Maybe Günter took part of this? The date is right and lake Maggiore is indeed a lake surrounded by mountains as Günter desribes the place where he is..

Lake Maggiore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    On 18–19 September 1939 at Błonie near Warsaw, around 50 Jews were murdered by soldiers from the division.

There is also evidence of Leibstandarte involvement in the murder of several thousands of Jews in Azov region and elsewhere during the campaign in the East before their move to Italy.

The LSSAH and the Einsatzgruppe shared the same winter quarters at Taganrog on the Azov Sea and sometimes elements of the division provided assistance to Einsatzgruppe D in its operations.

Anti-partisan action was often a German military euphemism for murdering Jews. Whether Gunter was involved or not IMHO he would certainly have heard about it.
    Last edited by StefanM; 12-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The story of SS Rottenführer Günter Prange
    P
    Many

?

A bit of progress at this time I / SS Panzer Grenadier Regt 1 LAH was Commanded by SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Hans Joachim Schiller , as Gunter refers to him as the Commander it is almost certain that he had become Schillers driver.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Schiller went on to be awarded the DKiG on 01.06.1944 having been then promoted to SS-Obersturmbannführer still commanding I./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 1.

It will be interesting to see if Gunter remains as his driver and whether he was still carrying out that role when the LAH returns to Russia in November 1943 or when he was Killed in Normandy .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Schiller actually went on to Command SS Panzer Gren Regt 1 in Normandy from 20.7.1944 bis Oktober 1944 taking over from the well know Albert Frey so again interesting if Gunter went with him as Driver to the Regimental Stab though probably not if his Feldpost nummer remained the same up to his death.

1st July 1916

?

Default Feldpost 28 - O.A. the 16.10.43

Feldpost 28 - O.A. the 16.10.43

Dear Parents!

Yesterday I received the letters from 25.9 and 29.9.43. I was very pleased to get post again after a long time. I was especially pleased, that the parcels arrived. Yes, dear mother, the cloth. I want to tell you something. If you are in “very” much of a hurry, then have a dress made from one of the fabrics. But if you still have a little time, then wait until I have sent the parcel with cloth. It is a matter of about 4 different blouse fabrics, and 6 suit fabrics. I don’t know yet what else I will put in the parcel.

What else is new at home? What is Hans-Peter up to? I am waiting for a letter from him. –

There is little news here. I have picked up a tremendous cold.- (I urgently need razor blades.

I want to close for today, with warmest regards.

Heil Hitler!

Günter

© Copyright D. Linoubli "Monuir" 2012 - Do not copy or republish pictures or text without permission

?

Default Feldpost 29 - East, the 24.11.43

Merry christmas everybody! So here is the last part of the SS christmas calendar I hope you all have enjoyed Günters letters. I have 10 more letters from him (39 totally), the last one being sent just before he being KIA in Normandie 1944. I will have these tranlated as soon as I've sold one of my old awards. It surely will be interesting to read the conclusion of Günters "story".

I would like to extend my thanks to Bill and Paul for helping me with the thread!

I wish you all a merry christmas and a happy new year!

Best regards from Sweden

Feldpost 29 - East, the 24.11.43

Dear Parents!

Yesterday I received your dear letter of the 9.11. I was very pleased. – Well, I am really sorry that things didn’t work out with your visit. But that sort of thing is very difficult with us globetrotters. Furthermore I am the commander’s driver, so I am not my own master. So please don’t indulge in such illusions. I want to come back to my last letter again. Please send the fabrics to Hanna, so that they get there for Christmas, with the necessary paraphernalia. –

I want to say something about the photographs. The pictures were taken in Russia; on the train journey to Italy, my fuel truck, my commander was the Kommandant in Parma, on lake Como, on Lake Garda with my Alfa-Romeo. – I am driving a Mercedes now.

I am generally quite well. I want to close now, with warmest regards.

Heil Hitler!

Günter

© Copyright D. Linoubli "Monuir" 2012 - Do not copy or republish pictures or text without permission

Any update on this? I am anxious to hear the end...

?

Hi! I am also anxious to hear the end.. The last 10 letters have not been translated yet but they will hopefully be next month!

Wow a great thread, thank you for spending the time and money to share these letters with us, I love first had accounts of history.

I really enjoy coming back to this one, a shame about the end though.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast