Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tiger 131

Article about: Hi all, I am wanting to know as much info as possible about the crew members of Tiger 131 [ bovington tiger 1 ]. There seems to be no knowledge of the crew after the tanks capture by the Bri

?

Default Tiger 131

Hi all,

I am wanting to know as much info as possible about the crew members of Tiger 131 [ bovington tiger 1 ].

There seems to be no knowledge of the crew after the tanks capture by the British.

What is the history of the crew [s] of 131 from factory to capture and why is it not possible to trace them in records after that date to know what became of them.

Any help/info to share would be gratefully appreciated,

Regards, Simon Fuller. [ UK ]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tiger 131
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Tiger 131

No-one out there got any views/help at all then.

SF.

Have you tried getting in contact with Bovington, they are quite approachable

Try David Brown, AssistantCurator@tankmuseum.org

?

Many thanks.
    I had'nt considered that as i've heard the talks they give and i don't believe they know this info.
    However, in the absence of any other suggestions i will give it a go and let you know what response i get,

Cheers, SF.

?

Very good question , i haven't the answer for you but good luck in your quest !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The Bovington response is that no-one knows and its likely no-one ever will.

I do find that extremely difficult to believe. So, if anyone has any info, or assistance then i would be very greatful.

Regards,

SF.

?

My Dad (23rd Hussars) was among a group of fitters who repaired the turret of 131 at Longcross Depot in (probably) 1946.

The story they were told was that after the turret jammed, infantryman climbed aboard and dropped grenades inside. There were no survivors. This is contrary to the accepted account that the crew bailed out.

Obviously, Dad's story is second-hand, but I would be interested to know the source of the original account.

?

Great info Grimmy thanks for posting mate , i feel your Dads account may be correct as although 131 was well known / photographed etc etc no details seem to be available re the crew . who you would think would also have been photographed and interviewed as to the practical combat workings on the Tiger !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Sounds less plausible than the documented version. I will put this 'version of events' to Bovington and see what response i get.

131 was photographed with crew clearly visible , but no-one seems to be able to identify the men concerned.

SF.

How about seeing if the unit's war diary survives? This might give some more detail? National Archives or the Regtimental Museum would be the best bets.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast