Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2 and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer books

Article about: Just finished Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2, very good book Wittmann was Such a brave and down to earth man that did not let the fame get to his head. It is a must re

Default Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2 and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer books

Just finished Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2, very good book Wittmann was Such a brave and down to earth man that did not let the fame get to his head. It is a must read if interested in Tiger battles and LAH.
    Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2 and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer books

Just started Grenadiers, Story of Kurt "Panzer" Meyer seems a very good book also.

The Stackpole Military series seems to have some good Titles.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2 and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer books
    P
    Many

Lightbulb

Stackpole publish some great titles at very reasonable cost - many of them were originally published as much larger volumes by J J Federowicz which are now hard to find and can be very expensive.

Was they bigger books? has Stackpole cut some off the books down?

Lightbulb

A lot of of the Federowicz books are very large ( sort of A4-sized ), but even when in print they cost around the £60 mark. Stackpole have more pages but smaller size, and many of the original photographs are not used. However, it's important to note that the Stackpole ones are 'unabridged' ie you get every word of the original book. They are great value for money.......

Wittmann was a Hell of a tanker, by any way of looking at it. Countless Allied lives were lost fighting him. But a 17 Pound shell from a Firefly settled his account. Even then, the German's tried to pretend that he was taken out by Aircraft-refusing to admit that a single Tank could have felled their hero...
    I wonder what happened to his RK when he was first buried. I can't imagine any soldier leaving it get tossed into the ground...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    A lot of of the Federowicz books are very large ( sort of A4-sized ), but even when in print they cost around the £60 mark. Stackpole have more pages but smaller size, and many of the original photographs are not used. However, it's important to note that the Stackpole ones are 'unabridged' ie you get every word of the original book. They are great value for money.......
    Ahh yeah the pics in the Stackpole books are not great, and they are very cheap in price which is good, £60 sounds a lot same price as a reference book.
    Do you own any of the Federowicz books.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Wittmann was a Hell of a tanker, by any way of looking at it. Countless Allied lives were lost fighting him. But a 17 Pound shell from a Firefly settled his account. Even then, the German's tried to pretend that he was taken out by Aircraft-refusing to admit that a single Tank could have felled their hero...
    I wonder what happened to his RK when he was first buried. I can't imagine any soldier leaving it get tossed into the ground...
    Yes he was fearless and a well respected humble man, shame he did not live out the war. i think in france the airpower and numbers sealed many Germans fates. He did get hit in the side by the sounds of it they got flanked, he did die a true hero's death in battle. Was crazy how he attacked a British Armored column with one tank after destroying that he carried on into the village and killed everything until his tank was disabled and left on foot made it back to german lines.

I think his RK was destroyed in the fire, ive seen pics of his other RK and RK award doc on WAF

?

It seems his body was found near a road in 1983, how can explain that ?

Quote by remss View Post
    It seems his body was found near a road in 1983, how can explain that ?
    the grave of him and his crew was found on the field where he died and reburied in the German War cemetery.

It's interesting to note that Wittmann was never awarded the prestigious grade II, III or IV Panzerkampfabzeichen.

Schwere SS-PanzerAbteilung 501 had very few numbered Panzerkampfabzeichen's (PAB's) awarded. This was the Tiger battalion of the 1. SS-PanzerKorps, with its origins in the heavy tank company of the LSSAH, and included such panzer aces and RK winners as Michael Wittmann and his gunner, Balthasar "Bobby" Woll, Helmut Wendorff, Franz Staudegger, and others.

Some of these guys had been in panzer battles since 1939. Yet the first numbered PAB's were not awarded in this battalion until October 1944, and apparently fewer than 10 were awarded then. Wittmann never had one because of course he was dead by then, being KIA on the 8th of August 1944 at Gaumesnil, France.

The famous photo of Wittmann sitting on the gun mantlet of his Tiger shows under high magnification that his Grade 1 PAB seems by it's fairly unique design appearance to be one made by the manufacturer Hymmen & Co of Ludenscheid.

Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2 and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer books Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2 and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer books Tiger commanders of LAH Michael Wittmann Part 1 and 2 and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer books

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

His cross on his grave was stolen in 2015 july...
    What a shame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast