Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation of prisoners of war forced labour letter...

Article about: I would greatly appreciate some accurate translation assistance of this 1940 two page letter in answer to a company requesting PoWs for labour use so that I can post it in the "Forced L

Default Translation of prisoners of war forced labour letter...

I would greatly appreciate some accurate translation assistance of this 1940 two page letter in answer to a company requesting PoWs for labour use so that I can post it in the "Forced Labour" thread.

I have typed it out and run it through google translate which has given me a rough indication of the contents and this is what I have:

To: E. & S. Fischer. Dampfsäge- und Hobelwerke, Wernshausen (Thür) - Steam saw an planing wood mill
    Subject: . Request on your requirement of prisoners of war.

The requirement of only 50-60 prisoners of war in respect to the significant costs of separate accommodation and security is not profitable (or is uneconomic?). Therefore it is advisable for the local community and businesses to come together to accommodate 1500-200 prisoners of war in a room or building provided by the city. It must be for the Burgermiester to find suitable accommodation for example in vacant factories and such spaces as an inn which can handle catering and cooking of food. The prisoners must have a guard detachment assigned to any camp who must also have accommodation provided for them. The cooking of food, heating and maintenance for the camp must be provided by the prisoners themselves.

The cost is only economic (affordable) if at least one camp (barracks?) is contracted for 200 prisoners of war. It is certainly possible in Wernshausen that other companies would be interested in such a plan as well as those from other areas who have industrial companies or those engaged in agriculture.

The last para is about the procurement of eating utensils and blankets, kettles, timber amongst other things that google translate trips over

Which German governmental organisation was the letter sent from?

I appreciate that it quiet a lengthy text to translate but any assistance is gratefully received.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Translation of prisoners of war forced labour letter...
    P
    Many

CfG
    ?

Hello StefanM!

I don't know whether you still need a translation but if so here you go.

“Economy-group“ sawmill industry
    District-group Thuringia

Company
    E. & S. Fischer
    Steam saw and moulding factory
    Wernshausen in Thuringia

Re: Your inquiry about requirement of POWs

The requirement of only 50 or 60 POWs doesn’t seem very cost-effective in consideration of the extensive expenses for separate standard accommodation and custody. The enterprises have therefore founded a collective under the mayor’s guidance to accommodate at least 150 or 200 POWs mostly in a hall or building provided by the city whose preparation is adopted by the collective of enterprises according to the provision of the Auslieferungslager’s commander. Several camps which have proved themselves already arose that way in Thuringia. However it is the mayor who has to be proactive. He has to look for an appropriate accommodation first. Halls associated with guesthouses or abandoned factories or any other easy to guard accommodations –at best, as in a guesthouse, where catering respectively cooking are ensured– come into consideration. In these camps the POWs are supervised by guards, who need a separate accommodation. Cooking is at best done in an appropriate cooking or boiler plant; POWs serve as workers needed for the camp’s maintenance and cooking.

After preparation of the accommodation the mayor has to contact the Auslieferungslager’s commander, whose address he will get from the state’s employment agency “Mitteldeutschland” in Erfurt. All documents needed for standard accommodation are supplied by those Auslieferungslagers, accommodation will be accepted by the Auslieferungslager’s commander or his commissioners.

Expenses are only affordable if camps of at least 150-200 POWs are established for one location. In Wernshausen it would certainly be possible to interest the worsted spinning mill and other companies in the scheme as well as

(page 2)

nearby villages/towns, if there is any need among enterprises or agriculture.

The Auslieferungslager’s commander provides information about the procurement of dishes and blankets. These items can be allocated by it [i.e. the Auslieferungslager]. The cooking plant is a field kitchen or boiler plant at best unless accommodation takes place in a guesthouse which provides catering.

Labour costs amount to 60% of the customary wage in that place so that the wage –together with the expenses for accommodation and custody– gets close to the customary labour costs in that place.

H*** H*****
    “Economy-group“ sawmill industry
    District-group Thuringia

?????
    manager

Regards,
    CfG

Grateful thanks and much appreciated.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.