Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

U 505 U boat chicago

Article about: Very interesting thread. Thanks to all. The pictures of the sub, the aircraft, and the scenes from Gettysburg are all great.

Default Re: U 505 U boat chicago

Nice thread! I will have to check this out sometime!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U 505 U boat chicago
    P
    Many

?

I'm just in love with the Stuka

?

Its really cool its 1 of the remaining 2 known in existance. There is bullet holes on the side because there was a fire fight in the airfield and it was hit a couple times. Its one of those things you never see.
    Ryan

?

wish they would stop scraping! I think there is a railway gun at the arlington proving grounds in virginia. We might go there this summer..
    Ryan Isaw that gun. got a pic of it, they had the V2 rocket there then

?

I went to see the 505 and the Stuka in Chi-town.
    At least they didnt chop it up like the U534, as Wagriff mentioned. I managed to see the U534 before it was mutilated. Very impressive - dents and all.
    Here the 505:

On the same trip, I visited several other locations, but thats another story.....

The Stuka at the museum was off display being restored after it fell from the ceiling one evening after closing. Fortunately, the timing avoided having anyone injured. The U-505 was brought through the St. Lawrence seaway and in to the Great Lakes in the early 1950's. The Museum sits off the shore of Lake Michigan so it was brought overland from the lake about 1/2 mile. It is now housed in a building built at the begining of this century expressly for holding the sub. My company was involved in the construction and security for the building. The display and tour far exceeds what was originally presented when the sub first arrived.
    Admiral Gallery, whose taskforce captured the sub, was almost court martialed due to the fact that capturing the sub also meant capturing intact enigma machines and their code and setting books. The submarine became a top priority secret until after the war due to the fear that the Germans would certainly change their codes. Gallery, who was a native Chicago resident, arranged for the sub to be taken by the Museum of Science and Industry. The former U-Boat crew had several reunion parties aboard their sub along with men from the American task force. The last was in the mid 1990's when those crew members from old East Germany were able to attend.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Awesome, thanks for sharing
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Bob, interesting info. Thanks.

A great place !! I didnt know a Dornier 335 still existed somewhere !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Some excellent photos guys, a very interesting thread!!! cheers Terry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast