Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

U 505 U boat chicago

Article about: Very interesting thread. Thanks to all. The pictures of the sub, the aircraft, and the scenes from Gettysburg are all great.

Default Re: U 505 U boat chicago

Very interesting thread. Thanks to all. The pictures of the sub, the aircraft, and the scenes from Gettysburg are all great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U 505 U boat chicago
    P
    Many

?

Its perfectly fine scout! You gave me a new idea where to go when we go to Washington D.C this summer. Ill ask my dad if we can go.
    Thanks
    Ryan

?

Good post with some great images.

Regarding the break-up of the boat located in Liverpool, i.e. U-534...

For those who were not able to see her before she was broken up, I should point out that the boat was left outside for many years, during which she continued to rust away, whilst offering shelter to several families of local pigeons(!). We can talk about what should have been done, and what shouldn't have been done, but I think that we can all agree that breaking her up, was a terrible decision. As soon as I heard that the boat was going to be relocated, I had hoped for a roof over her head at least. For those unfamiliar with the climate in the North West of England, even the ducks are known to carry umbrellas. I consider myself so lucky, to have enjoyed many tours whilst the U-Boat was still intact. I will always remember walking through her, at the atmosphere that was present. Unforgetable. And I believe that she remains the only U-Boat to have been raised from the seabed, although there were plans to locate, and raise more. One of the stories that I love about the raising of U-534, was how the AA Guns were still pointing at the sky when they raised her out of the water...when you go down, you go down fighting...

Below are some images of how she looks today, and how she looked a few years ago.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U 505 U boat chicago   U 505 U boat chicago  

U 505 U boat chicago   U 505 U boat chicago  

?

In a perfect world, she would never have left Denmark but should have stayed close to where she was sunk and subsequently raised. Unfortunately Ree (the bloke who funded the raising of the U534) lost interest after discovering, that the sub did not contain a huge treasure.
    That there was no support amongst the general population (for lack of better words) and politicians for keeping the sub in DK, show the lack of historical knowledge and lack of care about these relics. Nothing short of a disgrace.
    I guess, not all can be history nutters (directed at those Danes who let her go).
    That it was cut up just adds insult to injury IMO.
    Im just glad, that I got to see the U-534 before she was shipped off to the UK.
    Just my personal opinion of course.
    PS
    Just to emphasize; my beef is with the total lack of support in DK for keeping her there.
    What happened afterwards is really of secondary importance and up to those responsible in the UK. I have no interest in pointing fingers at anybody for what ever was done after the sub leaving DK, though I of course have an opinion about it.

?

Quote by rbemer207 View Post
    Its perfectly fine scout! You gave me a new idea where to go when we go to Washington D.C this summer. Ill ask my dad if we can go.
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Thanks, Ryan. I sincererely hope you guys get to go.
    I can not think of a better place to spend a day with ones dad.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    In a perfect world, she would never have left Denmark but should have stayed close to where she was sunk and subsequently raised. Unfortunately Ree (the bloke who funded the raising of the U534) lost interest after discovering, that the sub did not contain a huge treasure.
    That there was no support amongst the general population (for lack of better words) and politicians for keeping the sub in DK, show the lack of historical knowledge and lack of care about these relics. Nothing short of a disgrace.
    I guess, not all can be history nutters (directed at those Danes who let her go).
    That it was cut up just adds insult to injury IMO.
    Im just glad, that I got to see the U-534 before she was shipped off to the UK.
    Just my personal opinion of course.
    PS
    Just to emphasize; my beef is with the total lack of support in DK for keeping her there.
    What happened afterwards is really of secondary importance and up to those responsible in the UK. I have no interest in pointing fingers at anybody for what ever was done after the sub leaving DK, though I of course have an opinion about it.
    I wonder, if he still intends to raise more boats...?

This was rumoured following his failure to find the hidden treasures you mentioned Scout. Have you heard any further news regarding this recently?

Regards,

Carl

?

I have heard nothing at all in that regard, Carl.
    He has so many investments both in DK and abroad and is, I assume, very busy.

Many thanks for the great pics. Was there back in the 70s and did not know about this sub. Was Bull**** when I found out. good thing it was brought out of the lousy Chicago weather. It s as bad as there gun control.

?

haha lol, It was in really crappy condition when they brought it in. But now it looks like it just came out of the dry dock during ww2
    Ryan

many thanks for posting these fine pictures. Visited Chicago many years but did not know of U505 at the time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4