Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Volkssturm primary documents - diaries, etc.

Article about: Hello all! I am really interested in what the Volkssturm experienced during the closing stages of the war. Poorly equipped/ out matched and out numbered/ blinded by the regime/ fighting for

Default Volkssturm primary documents - diaries, etc.

Hello all!

I am really interested in what the Volkssturm experienced during the closing stages of the war. Poorly equipped/ out matched and out numbered/ blinded by the regime/ fighting for their fatherland and for their lives and the lives of their loved ones... I'm mesmerized by it!

I have found numerous diaries written by soldaten and translated into English... Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find diaries and/or other first hand accounts from members of the Volkssturm. Can anyone help?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volkssturm primary documents - diaries, etc.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Volkssturm primary documents - diaries, etc.

This one might be a starting point:

Amazon.com: HITLER'S LAST LEVY: The Volkssturm 1944-45 (9781874622512): Hans Kissel: Books

I can generally recommend it as a history of the Volkssturm, but of particular interest to you could be the 60 pages of appendices comprised of period documents like orders, regulations and directives, which also include some 25 pages of accounts by personnel involved with the Volkssturm. (From Gauleiter Greiser to ordinary Volkssturmmänner.)

Default Re: Volkssturm primary documents - diaries, etc.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    25 pages of accounts by personnel involved with the Volkssturm. (From Gauleiter Greiser to ordinary Volkssturmmänner.)
    This is a great lead, thanks!

To be honest, books about battle formations and troop movements... information about what generals and high ranking officers did at their command posts, etc. for the most part put me to sleep. I'm looking for stories about what ordinary people like us did and endured under crazy circumstances.