MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion

Article about: I have just bought the book Devils Guard by George Elford about a batallion of Waffen ss in the Ferench Foreign Legion. I have tried to research this to see how true to life the book is but

Default Re: Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion

Quote by Gary J View Post
    The only ones the VC were scared of in the jungle !
    They also feared the Australian's a few years later.Our combat troops were heirs to two generations of jungle conflicts by the time we deployed to Vietnam so the VC and NVA paid dearly in thinking Australian infantry etc were Americans with American tactics.They soon changed their sop's with regards to deployment against us.
    The best jungle fighters of the conflict.(But I may be a tad bias on this one).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion
    P
    Many

Hi gents. One thing I have to stress is I never got the chance to meet with Hans in person though we had been planning on doing so. Our meetings were always by phone call-I still have his phone number BTW ;-)) and also still have the families address too. One thing I was greatly looking forward to-was his opinion of a German Army Sniper Rifle variant I own--which was a very limited test item made in 1935-and is greatly related to those trench rifles that had elongated magazines. Mine was made in 1935-wiht a 25 round MG-13 magazine permanently fixed to it. Anyway, we were making plans of him testing it out for me at the Starry Gun Range here in Corpus. When we were first making these plans-it was about early Summer 1999, and I was trying to get leave from the job I had-which was working for the State of Texas-and sometimes is hard to do because of always being short-handed. Anyway, I was first going to meet him at his place, and then we were going to fly back to Corpus Christi and I was also going to be granted an interview. That could have been one hell of an interview too. I even had it arranged with a local Militaria collector/friend of mine (My militaria Mentor of sorts) who also happened to work for a local TV station (now owns three stations) who was going to help with the interview. We were going to do all this at his house--being I only lived in a 1 bedroom apartment at the time-and Don (my mentor) has a hugh 2 storey home in a nice area of town and also has access to news equipment and such. Also, his collection could have been used for any kind of referneces we could imagine as he has almost 100 various German uniforms including at least 15 of General and Admiral rank, and I couldnt even begin to tell you how many medals, badges and other items he has. Ive been to his place many times, and never seen it all.

Anyway, Hans, was also going to demonstrate my rifle during the interview. Well, sadly, about a month or so before I was to fly to see him, he had passed away. I was infomed about this by another mutual friend who was a Uboat Vet. This Vet lived here for 6 months and the rest of the time in Germany. He too, has since passed away.

There is a member of this site however, who has seen a photo of Hans--but I don't know if he would be willing or even still has the image? to share it or not? I can send him an email and ask.

Hi

Other information on the waffen ss members who served in the ffl after ww2 is to be found in a book on the french volunteers called Pour L'Europe by robert forbes.
    the last chapter has bibliographic notes on individuals.

hope this adds more info to your research.

cheers

tony

I heard stories from my senior NCO's ( late 70's) who had seen german legionairres wearing their 2ww decorations . I am searching for a photo I have somewhere of a legionairre in Vietnam , approx 1953, wearing the EK1. I'll post as soon as I locate it.

another interesting story is that of Congo Mueller
    Siegfried_M?ler_(S?dner)

A book I have had for many a year and I have forgotten how many times I have read the book, and I still enjoy reading it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion  
    Ben

I'm thinking of collecting some FFL items, anyone know of a good site?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Must go and look for that book now

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    A book I have had for many a year and I have forgotten how many times I have read the book, and I still enjoy reading it
    Just to let any who might be wondering, the Soldier pictured on this book is NOT, Hans.

What a great thread this is, thanks to everyone. Have just brought the book

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast