Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What unit is this panzer MK IV from?

Article about: This is one of my dads photos, a ww2 6th Armored vet. He was in the maintenance battalion but spent some time in mechanized recon unit too. I don’t think his tank took this one out as when h

Default What unit is this panzer MK IV from?

This is one of my dads photos, a ww2 6th Armored vet. He was in the maintenance battalion but spent some time in mechanized recon unit too. I don’t think his tank took this one out as when he was in a tank it was a Stuart. More than likely abandoned on a retreat, maybe early fall of 44by the foliage.
    Is there a way to indentify what unit this tank is from? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What unit is this panzer MK IV from?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What unit is this panzer MK IV from?
    P
    Many

Sadly not, as there is no unit insignia present in the photo.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The number on the side indicates: 7th company - 1st platoon -3rd vehicle.
    But it does not determine the division.
    Nick

Very nice photograph, can't make any additions as far as unit, but I think it's possible to see that the additional armour around the turret is painted in Hinterhalt (ambush) colour scheme.

As a matter of discourse panzer 713 was one of those that featured in the ambush and massacre at the Baugnez crossroads on December 17th 1944 - although there is nothing to make me think that your Fathers picture relates to the same tank.

Thanks for they replies. That’s what I had found. If I at least had a location on the pic, maybe the unit could be narrowed down.

With trees, it's in summer.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    With trees, it's in summer.
    I don’t think is summer for two reasons;
    1 the trees in the back look like pines, so green all year and the one in front look like they are dried up.
    2 they all have clothes too heavy for summer including gloves.

Maybe late October or early November?

?

I would say this is a very late war tank. Late 1944-1945 as it it a panzer iv “j” as it has no side schutzen and yet it has turret schutzen. That and I think it has three steel return rollers ( but the guys in the middle is blocking potentially one. Also done it’s done up in “ambush” camo and a lack zimmeriet I suppose also suggests a later date of manufacturing

Quote by Mauser202 View Post
    I don’t think is summer for two reasons;
    1 the trees in the back look like pines, so green all year and the one in front look like they are dried up.
    2 they all have clothes too heavy for summer including gloves.

Maybe late October or early November?
    I agree with all your points here - especially the clothing of the allied troops.
    However, the foliage in the foreground could well have been pulled off of the tank and had been used as camouflage - based on the angle of the branches, the dried leaves and that some look to be broken.
    Nick

?

Fully agree with Nick regarding the dead branches.
    The central figures are wearing rubber overshoes, so certainly late ‘44 - early ‘45.
    Can’t squeeze anything more out of that tank though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast