Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What went "wrong" on the Eastern Front?

Article about: If one looks away from the political aspects and look at the war on the Eastern Front form a strategically and tactical aspect, what made it turn out the way it did for the Axis side? Was it

Default Re: What went "wrong" on the Eastern Front?

The reasons for the failure of Barbarossa are legion and far to many for me to contemplate a full opinion here. Suffice to say that Hitler's notorious and banal "One swift kick!" quote shows that he thought the operation could be accomplished quickly, and to be fair it was a close run thing, thanks to Stalin's self denial and his paralyzing of his generals by fear and mistrust.

The Soviet Union was supposed to collapse after the first blows. The blows were there, and they were massive, but the Red Army and the Soviet system as a whole didn't collapse as was expected. It was there where German planning stopped. And they still had three and a half years to go.....That is the bones of my argument.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What went "wrong" on the Eastern Front?
    P
    Many

Its a BIGGGGGGG country, and its a COLDDDDD country. IMO even if they did capture all of it, maintaining it would have been the hard part, if not impossible. Not to mention taking on the whole other world at the same time.

?

Thanks for your comment Ned and all others who have given their opinion on this topic. Yes Teutonicknight. I often wonder when driving here in Russia on the country side, how s... it must have been for the soldiers, and especially the Germans who did not have proper clothing part of the time. It's not only cold here, there is always a wind blowing.

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Thanks for your comment Ned and all others who have given their opinion on this topic. Yes Teutonicknight. I often wonder when driving here in Russia on the country side, how s... it must have been for the soldiers, and especially the Germans who did not have proper clothing part of the time. It's not only cold here, there is always a wind blowing.
    I don't think anyone would have a clue, unless they were there to experience it, I remember reading about some German soldiers talking about moving through Russia, and they often said, the hills and such seemed to never end. Bigger than people think. Mike

?

Exactly. When you have reached Moscow, you have actually not gotten anywhere yet. Makes me wonder how the hell they thought it was possible. As lithgow i think it was, said, that the Germans been here in WW1. They should know what it was all about.

ian
    ?

as most generals always try to re fight the last war ,, rather than planing for ,and fighting the next one
    hitler did not take history seriously
    and basicly he made exsactly the same mistakes that NAPOLION made
    histoty will repeet itself
    the leson is if you wish to invade russia
    start in the winter ,,,finnish in the summer
    cheers ian

Quote by ian View Post
    cheers ian
    Better yet, don't ever try to invade the largest country in the world in the first place! History has proven time and time again that it doesn't go very well!

?

Quote by ian View Post
    as most generals always try to re fight the last war ,, rather than planing for ,and fighting the next one
    hitler did not take history seriously
    and basicly he made exsactly the same mistakes that NAPOLION made
    histoty will repeet itself
    cheers ian
    In some strange way this actually makes sense. Wonder if trying to invade Russia makes sense at all.

ian
    ?

well Dartus
    its so true in history
    the british expondinionary force in 1939 were orderd to dig trenches ???
    a quote from a general ,as best i can
    i would like to thenk the minister of war ,that there has been no interferance with the cavelry,when all the mechanised vehicles have brocken down ,and the tanks have run out of feul ,THEN the CAVELRY will come into there own again
    yes that is a true quote from a british general
    not word for word ,but as close as i remember it
    generals dont win wars
    captains ,and majors , they win the next wars ,cos they are new thinkers and the feuture generals
    cheers ian

All good valid points

In a nutshell for me;

Timing
    Complacency
    Lack of resources/Equipment
    Mad despot dictating to his experienced Generals

I appreciate there are many more reasons

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast