Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why did Germany not have any aircraft carriers?

Article about: Interesting thread as already stated all of Germany's conquests could be reached within range of its Fighters unlike the Pacific which covered a vast area of sea dotted by thousands of small

Default Why did Germany not have any aircraft carriers?

Why Germany had no aircraft carriers?

I understand that for any maritime force, the carriers are indispensable ... Hitler was a mistake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why did Germany not have any aircraft carriers?
    P
    Many

I am following the aftermath of history channel and I arise many doubts, I'm no historian, but I have many questions ...

I guess it's true when they say "it's true history is written by the victors"

?

The German Navy didn't develop one. The German Navy was not world class during that time. I imagine money had a lot to do with it.

Check this out :

German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Poles rediscovered the wreck in 2006.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

there were many "errors" in Hitler:
    opened three fronts, not having a radar, the English riddles deciphered ... etc, I feel sad, do not want Hitler had won the war no ... I just think that was very powerful Whermarcht ... well, I think I digress ... Greetings friends

The German Freya radar was actually far better than the simpler, much larger British Chain Home system during the BoB and later Blitz. But it was over engineered (as usual) and there were only a few operating at this crucial time leaving large 'gaps' in the system, whereas Chain Home covered almost the entire south coast of Britain by the time the war started proper in 1940.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The German Freya radar was actually far better than the simpler, much larger British Chain Home system during the BoB and later Blitz. But it was over engineered (as usual) and there were only a few operating at this crucial time leaving large 'gaps' in the system, whereas Chain Home covered almost the entire south coast of Britain by the time the war started proper in 1940.
    The Battle of England, the biggest air warfare in history ... Thanks Ned for the info ...

It takes years of labor and Tons of money to build a capitol ship. Germany did not have the luxury of either. They Did begin to construct an aircraft carrier, but it was never finished in time and was ultimately wasted. Hitler, himself, was an old Army man and never had alot of faith in big costly and vulnerable ships. Considering the air forces of England, Russia and the US, he was probably correct in this way of thinking. Not to mention the British Navy's size and power. One has only to look at the ignominious and costly end of the Bismark to see the problem. The Tirpitz, Bismark's sister ship, was never dared to be risked much at all, under the circumstances, and it Still was sunk despite elaborate and desperate measures to protect it. There were several plans to try to convert various large ships into auxiliary carriers, but they were too little and too late for any of them to be completed. Big capitol ships simply took too long to build and cost too much to construct and operate (they used Enormous amounts of precious fuel oil and supplies in general). Basically, Germany could never hope to build enough ships to Ever meet the British Navy on anything like an equal footing. In this, the Versailles Treaty and Germany's forced disarmament after WWI was very effective indeed.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 08-09-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wiki got that wrong,she sank in the Baltic on her way to the USSR loaded up with plunder from Germany.

something had

Bismarck
    4 aircraft
    Tirpitz
    4 aircraft
    Scharnhorst
    3 aircraft (replacing Heinkel He114 in 1939)
    Gneisenau
    3 aircraft (replacing Heinkel He114, Arado Ar96 and Focke-Wulf Fw62 in 1939)
    Admiral Hipper
    3 aircraft
    Blücher
    3 aircraft
    Prinz Eugen
    3 aircraft
    Deutschland
    2 aircraft (replacing Heinkel He60 in 1939)
    Admiral Scheer
    Admiral Graf Spee
    Hilfskreuzer
    1 aircraft on some of them

images of Tirpiz

Jedem das Seine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast