Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why were Hidelburg and Oxford spared bombing?

Article about: I had a conversation with a friend about why Hidelburg and Oxford were not bombed during the war, he said that the Germans and the British had an agreement not to bomb University cities. I h

Yes, it still does in fact...

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    . Unfortunately historians in the UK don't seem to be very good at going into the German archives whilst for German historians the fate of Oxford is a minor detail.
    A very good point many of the more well renowned UK Historians seem to be unable to do or more specifically get their researchers to do any meaningful research of German sources / archives etc if they did many of the conclusions they come to which are then fed to the masses and taken as gospel would be very different !!

The Normandy Battles are a case in point !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by ironcross13 View Post
    My comment was just speculation, but thanks for the information really good,
    do you know what happened towards the end of the war 43-45 did all students have to join the armed forces?
    Pretty much, with the exceptions I had mentioned.

Whether there were additional special exceptions, for example for a limited contingent of those studying in certain designated fields crucial to the war effort, I honestly do not know; but basically, university students were not exempt from the draft and were called up just like anybody else. (They could only apply to be allowed to finish the current semester before being called up.)

By the last three years of the war, call-up age had also dropped far enough to include even first-year university students and those just fresh out of school:

Year of birth 1923: Fully called-up starting 15th April 1942
    Year of birth 1924: Fully called-up starting 15th Oct. 1942
    Year of birth 1925: Fully called-up starting May 1943
    Year of birth 1926: Fully called-up starting December 1943
    Year of birth 1927: Fully called-up starting July 1944
    Year of birth 1928: Partially called-up starting December 1944
    Year of birth 1929: Partially called-up starting March 1945

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12