Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 81 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 LastLast

"For you the war is over". Period photos of German POWs

Article about: Surrendering to the enemy. Mixed emotions printed on the faces of the prisoners and their captors. For some anger and disappointment, for others relief "their war was over."

Blindfolded survivors of the sunken battleship Scharnhorst arrive at Scarpa Flow 26 December 1943. Appear to be wearing merchant seaman clothing they changed into after being picked up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "For you the war is over". Period photos of German POWs
    P
    Many

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Canadian soldier of Le Regiment de la Chaudiere, Canadian Division with prisoners captured Nan White sector, Juno Beach, Normandy June 1944

Attachment 1141273

He's looking happy.
    This German looks quite like actor: Stephen McNally.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Attachment 1151838

France July 1944. Newly surrendered German soldiers being marched away from the front. The photo must have been taken just after capture as they are still carrying their field kit, having just dropped their rifles, probably bayonets and steel helmets.
    No, this image is from an episode of: The Gallant Men and that G.I. is Pete Fontaine-singing: "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling.". Just kidding but, he does look like him though. Sorry for the stray. Great image.

Some of mine. These are original press photos. None were seen on the first 30 pages and I didn't look to see if any were on aany other page. Being press photos-a couple may be on here already? so sorry if they are/ However-these are not off the net-they are in my personal collection.

SORRY, can't seem to find the images I wanted to post-so enjoy two other originals (non German-but PWs of the Germans) prisoners of war.

One shows Polish PWs posing with their captors-the other is French-Sengalese soldier made to be as a sort of "side-show-freak."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "For you the war is over". Period photos of German POWs   "For you the war is over". Period photos of German POWs  

Regarding Yang Kyoungjong (post #73) his identity is apparently uncertain. The account that he was a Korean who was captured by the USSR, who was then captured by Nazi Germany and pressed into service, and was later identified as Yang Kyoungjong, might have shown up following his death on 7 April 1992. Martin K.A. Morgan, who is an author, historian, technical advisor and battlefield guide specializing in U.S. military history, believes the man is not Yang Kyoungjong, but instead an ethnic Georgian from the 795th Georgian Battalion, which Morgan says was composed of Georgian Osttruppen. It would be interesting to read his post-capture interrogation reports, because his identity, national status, and personal history were probably determined at that time. My gut feeling is that the information in post #73 is correct, but Martin Morgan’s theory makes sense and might be correct, which might explain why the South Korean government would not take him back after the war.
    A movie titled My Way, was released in 2015, starring Jang Dong-Gun as Yang Kjoungjong and co-starring Joe Odegiri as his Japanese sidekick. The movie is available on DVD in English, whether dubbed or with subtitles, I do not know. The movie follows the accepted story-line that he was pressed into the Japanese Army, was captured by the Russians, fought in the Red Army, and then wound up at Normandy in the Wehrmacht. Dwight

?

Don’t bother with it.
    It starts well, like so many, but soon descends into the usual ‘overly heroic’ tripe we’ve all seen far too often.
    If it weren’t so bad for the environment, I would burn my copy...
    Tea coaster, perhaps?

I, for one, liked that film a lot. But it's all a matter of taste, of course.

"If it weren’t so bad for the environment, I would burn my copy...
    Tea coaster, perhaps? "

I feel that way about a DVD I bought a few months ago, "King Arthur" by Guy Richie. From my perspective; utter rubbish, that I didn't bother watch to the end. But, I'm well off topic now!

Back on topic. Some more POW photos.

"For you the war is over". Period photos of German POWs"For you the war is over". Period photos of German POWs

I just noticed this. The American appears to be questioning the young German prisoner. It looks like he's holding a packet of Lucky Strike cigarettes. Is he asking the prisoner where he got the American cigarettes from?
    Last edited by Anderson; 11-06-2018 at 02:07 AM. Reason: more text

British Paras offer water to a couple of POW's at Rhine crossing 24 March 1945

Women prisoners being held at a British camp for SS, Luftwaffe and civilians at Vilvoorde near Brussels, 1945. And no doubt relieved they weren't captured by Russians.

Page 81 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 LastLast