Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Relic Find - What is this?

Article about: I have heard, that the border guards won't like you doing digging at the battlefields, because of the possible un-detonated explosives. If someone decides to go digging, be responsible for y

I have heard, that the border guards won't like you doing digging at the battlefields, because of the possible un-detonated explosives. If someone decides to go digging, be responsible for your actions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

No problem

Cheers

Jan
    ?

The problem Datrus... is the law... unless you have permission from the landowner you canīt do any digging in Finland. I am an archaeologist/historian myself and working with the National Board of Antiquities in Finland. I suggest you go very clean about this planned expedition of yours. Also every item found on battlefields on land or sea is the property of the Finnish defence forces and/or the museum authorities. The situation is very different from that in Russia. Contact the military museum of Finland for information about the legal issues before trying anything like this in this country.

Military Museum | Visit Helsinki : City of Helsinki

Best,

Jan

?

I am not going to Finland to dig. I have to go there. I dig legally in Russia. I do not like the "The situation is very different from that in Russia" part of your post! I very well know the situation here. You most likely do not i can see. Last month a new law was passed and it can now give you up to 6 yrs in prison to dig illegally and a minimum fine of 500000 RUB + prison. I am a member of legal registered organization under MVD/МВД. My partner team/mate is a member of three such organizations. I often enough see the results of soulless diggers... Sorry about the grumpy comment. I am Danish and had a very bad day at the Moscow Customs importing a WW2 Wehrmacht motorcycle. I spent almost 8 hours there today

Cheers

Lars

Jan
    ?

Datrus, Iīm sure you know what Iīm talking about, didnīt mean to upset you at all. I value your prompt answer very highly. The situation in Finland is a critical one when it comes to WW1 (civil war) and WW2 battlefield issues. The few battlefields are of a very high national and international value and not understood archaeologically or even historically until after the fall of the Soviet Union. The legislature regarding these kind of historically important sites of a small country such as Finland is stiff and actually invites to sad experiments (robbing the battlefields of their significant historical value). Iīm trying to change that by creating common interest in preservation of the battlefields and organizing rescue excavations to preserve and document whatīs left of the battlefields in 2013.

Best,

Jan

?

Interesting updates on the laws guys could you please update the following section so we can keep it up to date ?

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battle...aeology-20746/

So Black digging is now completely outlawed in Russia Lars ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Yes it is Paul mate. I will write in described thread

Cheers

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I am Danish and had a very bad day at the Moscow Customs importing a WW2 Wehrmacht motorcycle. I spent almost 8 hours there today
    Here is something to bring the smile back Lars - everyone loves a Danish

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27102010252.Danish_Pastries.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	549431  
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

Quote by big ned View Post
    The carpet, is it a version of Dazzle camouflage?? It's very effective anyway....
    it covers a hole in the ground full of sharpened stakes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

@ Jan All is written in friendly terms!! As written i am sorry about the grumpy comment, but you picked the wrong time and day to make the, "The situation is very different from that in Russia" comment, like all diggers here are soulless and anarchy is reigning the battlefields in Russia You being from Finland and me from Denmark, i do want to hear Finland is a "small" country... We can discuss battlefield archaeology no problem. I have been many places no archaeologist will ever set a foot. A few days ago i talked to some guys from another team, which recovered a USSR soldier from WW2. They were too scared to even tell me to whom they delivered the soldier for burial! We have had the same problems. Consulting priest/ministers having them taking care of business. Is this correct? The digging community here is like a small village. Everybody knows each other or knows somebody who knows etc... Many do really good work. Often times the bastards are the guys in the villages which does not give a damn about anything than selling metal. There are also good guys in the villages. Not too many though.

Previously we had like a General permission. Nobody would be able to touch us where ever we would go, except on memorials/places with "peace of graves". Now we will have to get individual permission as i understand. Not sure yet.

To me battlefield archaeology is not so much about fiddling around wit brushes and making sketches of what direction the head of a soldier was orientated, but getting them back to their comrades at the cemeteries. In between finding MIA's/KIA's we find a lot of evidence what have been going on on the battlefields, but we are still not talking 15th century here. I am 100% no university archaeologist have never even been where we have been in Bryansk, Biely(Rzhew Salient) Vyazma, Smolensk and so forth. I know guys doing black digs doing it in the correct spirit, even with small brushes and stuff I have no love for archaeologists thinking they are the only ones entitled to do battlefield archaeology, because they rarely go where it really matters for the single soldier waiting to be rejoined with mates and enemies on the memorial cemeteries. Yes of course if they can get a JCB or a CAT to scrape off the top soil, maybe so. Well i am still grumpy after the customs episode so...

Cheers

Lars

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast