Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Tropical Uniform?

Article about: Hi, I've been wondering if the Soviet Union had a standard tropical/hot weather uniform during world war 2. As far as I know they didn't do fighting in very warm areas but I really can't fin

Default Soviet Tropical Uniform?

Hi, I've been wondering if the Soviet Union had a standard tropical/hot weather uniform during world war 2. As far as I know they didn't do fighting in very warm areas but I really can't find anything about tropical uniforms of the time. Surely they had troops at least stationed somewhere warm? Pics and/or information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Tropical Uniform?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soviet Tropical Uniform?

The Red Army all wore cotton denim uniforms in the summer months and this is very comfortable (I wear this as a re-enactor). Worn with a white cotton undershirt. Don't be fooled, Southern Russia is very hot! They also wore a broad brimmed Panama style hat from 1938 in certain military districts. Pease see the pic.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Tropical Uniform?  

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The Red Army all wore cotton demin uniforms in the summer months and this is very comfortable (I wear this as a re-enactor). Worn with a white cotton undershirt. Don't be fooled, Southern Russia is very hot! They also wore a broad brimmed Panama style hat from 1938 in certain military districts. Pease see the pic.

Cheers, Ade.
    +1

2 Sprinkles. If you are talking about short sleeve jackets and shorts, there weren't any, even later on, even for troops that were in border with China. The only difference was panama as Adrian mentioned. Rest of the uniform was the same from from Far East to Black see or Baltic. They have troops in really warm places such a Kazakstan , Mongolia etc.

Thank you for the responses. I can imagine that would be extremely uncomfortable to wear! I knew about the panama hats but didn't realize every other aspect of the uniform was the same. I would assume they might have at least rolled up their sleeves!

?

O yes they have rolled, when it's really hot they were allowed to take jackets off as well and wear undershirts or telnyashkas (It calls type of uniform No.2) But trust me please cotton uniform is best thing you can wear in any weather condition. There is a good movie of Soviet uniform history, regrettably it's in Russian. 'Военная форма Красной и Советской Армии'

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, got a new browser for this site. For some reason firefox fails at loading just this forum...anyways a found the movie on the uniform history. Despite not understanding the russian, it was still interesting to see the footage/photos. Thanks for the responses.

I have another quick random question. It's not really related to tropical uniforms but I don't want to start a whole new thread for it. Did Soviet troops or officers ever remove the metal wire in their visor caps to turn them into "crushers" ? This would probably be against regulation but seeing as other countries did it, I was just curious.

Soviet Officers did not crush their caps. State property had to be respected!

Cheers, Ade.

Ah yes, those caps belong to the people of the Soviet Union! How silly of me!

?

Sprinkles If you are interested in non official soviet uniform enhancement, look for as called 'dembel' or 'DMB' items.