Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Visiting Chernobyl

Article about: Did anyone else dare to go there yet or am I still the craziest WRF member? Here is the full minute of video we shoot... : http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater Wish we h

?

Default Re: Visiting Chernobyl

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Thanks for posting this nice pics. Yes, there still a nice SS positions over the Pripya't river, and still undug, due of closed area was for many years
    Dim i think we'll stick to the Narva Front we don't want to be glowing in the dark !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visiting Chernobyl
    P
    Many

Za nashou sovietskouyou rodinou
    Thanks for the post. What is that device showing?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

the dogs and cats look normal.thanks for showing us.

?

Thanks everyone i really appreciate it I would recommend everyone to go to Ukraine! It is an amazing country and you dont need to be loaded to go there because everything is extremly cheap.. Chernobyl is just one of the intresting destinations, kharkov and also alot of other old WW2 battlefields and memorials/museums that needs to be visited..

I have seen another website that has many sets of pictures, and there are several sets of pictures from Chernobyl, and the Pripyat area. There is a lot of old Soviet militaria around. There is a "boneyard" of contaminated vehicles, and helicopters to the northwest of the city, IIRC and there are quite a few military armoured carriers, and trucks in it. There is also an old soviet Intelligence listening post nearby. That is how the Soviet military was on scene so quickly, they were only a few miles away, but the presence of the post was supposed to be secret.

I believe that the small hand held device he has is a radiation counter.

Boridin

?

That is correct, although now it is completely forbidden to visit the "boneyard" of the contaminated vechicles because it has so high levels of radiation. The soviet listening post is cool, it also has a gigantic radar thing, but we did not get alot of info about that. I would also like to thank my girlfriend for giving me company in chernobyl and taking a few of these photos. It only cost me a prada bag

That was one heck of a vacation you took there Monuir; Poland, Ukraine, Crete. Did you estimate how many rads of radiation you soaked up there at Pripyat? Thanks for posting the photographs. Happy holidays to you as well.

Take care,
    Jay

?

Hej Jay! Unfortunaly i had to quit my job because i was diagnosed with the disease Cystic Fibrosis. I had some savings and i decided to sell my collection of ww2 iteems to go out and travel for 4 months. The only good news with the diagnosis is that i get 700 euro every month from the swedish state which i saw like an oppurtunity to fund my travel. Anyway i decided to see the positive from this and went out on this trip. I was in Ukraine, Poland, Germany, The netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey and Greece! And i don't regreat it I am sure i soaked up alot of radiation in Pripyat but as i turned down the radiation treatment in the swedish hospital maybe the chernobyl trip made me good because i have been very healthy the last months Anyway i passed the security check when we went out of there. you got to go trough a security check where they check your levels but i did not get any numbers... Also, the ukrainian people advised me to drink alot of vodka because this would take away the radiation, so i followed the advice but i cant say that made me feel better.... Also... It is completly forbidden to bring out something from Pripyat but i just had to get a little souvenir.... I will post a picture tommorow, it is very innocent but a little intresting The most horrible in Pripyat was the kindergarden where i found a big lot of childrens fingerpaintings and drawings on papier... i really wanted to bring that home to my collection but i left them there for other people to see.

Hang in there Monuir. Take care of yourself.

Jay

?

It was an interesting visit by the look of it, and its strange to see the different variations in rad level, suggesting that the subsequent attempts to clean up at least in parts of the area didnt happen or just didnt work, but a virtual ghost town and a chilling reminder of the effects of nuclear power unleashed, i dont frighten easily but that place might spook me out completely

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast