Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1st Canadian division(1st anti-tank)

Article about: Hello I am new to the form and am trying to find out about the first Canadian division. I had a great Uncle who was in the 1st Anti-tank Regiment. I cant seem to find out any information any

Default 1st Canadian division(1st anti-tank)

Hello

I am new to the form and am trying to find out about the first Canadian division. I had a great Uncle who was in the 1st Anti-tank Regiment. I cant seem to find out any information anywhere. I know that he was from New Brunswick and was In England around 1940 and that the unit went to Italy in 1943. I am looking for any other information about the 1st Anti Tank. Any help would be great.

I also have a group photo of him in England that says 51st battery? any information about this?

Thanks

Thomas

?

Hi Thomas welcome to the forum I can help out a little I think the 1st Anti-Tank Regiment was attached to the 1st Canadian Infantry Division as you already know and were deployed to Great Britian in Dec-1939 from there they were re deployed to Italy in June-1943 and seen action there they were sent back to Great Britain to re muster and again were re deployed and seen action again in NWE in March-1945 and were disbanded on August 28 1945 your best bet will probably be to follow the history of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division and with any luck you will find mention of there service history through them.
    You may find the link below interesting and useful in your search.

( HyperWar: The Canadian Army 1939-1945: An Official Historical Summary )

Regards Mark