Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

45th division-august 31 1944-sept 1st 1944

Article about: Hello-I have researched for years about my uncles service in the 45th division. I have pretty much followed his movements in Italy and southern france. He was captured outside of meximieux (

Default 45th division-august 31 1944-sept 1st 1944

Hello-I have researched for years about my uncles service in the 45th division. I have pretty much followed his movements in Italy and southern france. He was captured outside of meximieux ( by lagnieux or dagnieux??) at a roadblock. This roadblock is briefly mentioned in a few books but I am looking for more info. He was in the 179th 2nd battalion company F. They were over run by the 11th panzer division. I have corresponded with a guy who lives in Meximieux. He has been searching for a watch my uncle buried after being wounded. My uncle told me he would have been executed on the spot if caught with a german watch. As he layed there bleeding terribly he had the idea to bury the watch and cover it with a rock.. What I am looking for is a good photo of company f 179th 2nd battalion. I would also like to find more in depth reports about this particular roadblock battle. In the POW records it appears he was captured with another guy. My uncles name is Lyle Jacobson if anyone wants to find out more info. Any help is MUCH appreciated!!

?

what sources did you use so far to check 179th's movements? like I said, I have their regimental book...I read "Rock of Anzio". and I think the other was "Hitler in the Crosshairs", something like that.....particular roadblock battles seem like they would be hard to check on.....I'll try to check the regimental book on F Co.

Bronk- I have pretty much read what you have. I have the blue 179th book and it is mentioned in there.