Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Captain Richard H Wells Info Needed.

Article about: Hi there, Does anyone have any information or photographs relating to Captain Richard H Wells a P38G Lightning pilot of 71st Fighter Squadron 1st Fighter Group based at Debden. He was killed

Default Captain Richard H Wells Info Needed.

Hi there,
    Does anyone have any information or photographs relating to Captain Richard H Wells a P38G Lightning pilot of 71st Fighter Squadron 1st Fighter Group based at Debden. He was killed in a mid air collision in the area of Bush Farm Thaxted in Essex on 13th January 1943 after taking off from his base at Debden. The few internet items i found on him say that he remained in the UK when his unit went off to fight in the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations and that he was involved in mid air collision with an 'object' which ripped off one of his engines. I am looking for photos of pilot and full crash report if anyone has such items or knows where i might look to find them. Ive exhausted the internet and just found the above mentioned pieces on the 71st Roll of Honor. I would also like to know who conducted the recovery of his P38 where 20mm cannon remains were found amongst few other bits. Would really appreciate help on this one and best regards to all. Tim.

Default Re: Captain Richard H Wells Info Needed.

71st Fighter Squadron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

date: 13 january 1943
    serial number: 42-12882
    plane: Lockheed P-38G-10-LO Lightning
    service number: O-411745
    Buried at: Plot B Row 3 Grave 44 (in great samford)

hes also listed as being in the 82 fighter sqaudron, 78 fighter group

his death report was:
    Wells, Richard H., O-411745, killed in mid air collision (Engine 1 hit object in flight), location Great Samford / 1mi S, England.

Quote by talltom View Post

his death report was:
    Wells, Richard H., O-411745, killed in mid air collision (Engine 1 hit object in flight), location Great Samford / 1mi S, England.
    Hi Tom, Had those details to hand and thanks very much for posting them up here. I have already written a few letters which should lead to some in-depth details into this incident and as soon as data comes in it will be added here. In many ways this pilot is anonymous as there is virtually nothing about him on the web so hopefully when my article is published in the UK's leading militaria mag it will at least give him some coverage and information can then be added to the online crash database. Cheers Loads, Tim.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Hi Tom, Had those details to hand and thanks very much for posting them up here. I have already written a few letters which should lead to some in-depth details into this incident and as soon as data comes in it will be added here. In many ways this pilot is anonymous as there is virtually nothing about him on the web so hopefully when my article is published in the UK's leading militaria mag it will at least give him some coverage and information can then be added to the online crash database. Cheers Loads, Tim.
    sounds good Tim you could try and publish it in fly past which is a magazine about planes

Attachment 291327Attachment 291328Attachment 291329Attachment 291330Attachment 291331Attachment 291332
    sounds good Tim you could try and publish it in fly past which is a magazine about planes
    I have couple of good mags in mind Tom and hope that when i have all the details it will make an interesting story. In the meantime Tom heres the decent photos of the 20mm cannon barrel and the buffer/return spring housing unit-these were two pieces recovered from a dig at the crash site and are superb pieces. The barrel weighs 9.9 kilos and the buffer/return spring unit weighs 5 kilos. Cheers Loads, Tim.

Attachment 291327Attachment 291328Attachment 291329Attachment 291330Attachment 291331Attachment 291332

I have couple of good mags in mind Tom and hope that when i have all the details it will make an interesting story. In the meantime Tom heres the decent photos of the 20mm cannon barrel and the buffer/return spring housing unit-these were two pieces recovered from a dig at the crash site and are superb pieces. The barrel weighs 9.9 kilos and the buffer/return spring unit weighs 5 kilos. Cheers Loads, Tim.
    very nice brilliant looking finds

his death report was:
    What stumps me here is the definition of 'Object'?? Was it another P38, bird-strike, an electrical pylon, telegraph post or what??? Or was the 'object' something more sinister if you get my drift? I have written preliminary letters to the Air Historical Branch who have given me an address to write to in the USA and i wrote to the Imperial War Museum two weeks ago and they have yet to reply so have no further data other than the sparse but welcome data that is on the web at the moment. In most of the other mid air collision reports they always state the other aircraft involved but not in this case-they just state 'object'. Probably nothing but will be interesting to confirm. Regards, Tim.

What stumps me here is the definition of 'Object'?? Was it another P38, bird-strike, an electrical pylon, telegraph post or what??? Or was the 'object' something more sinister if you get my drift? I have written preliminary letters to the Air Historical Branch who have given me an address to write to in the USA and i wrote to the Imperial War Museum two weeks ago and they have yet to reply so have no further data other than the sparse but welcome data that is on the web at the moment. In most of the other mid air collision reports they always state the other aircraft involved but not in this case-they just state 'object'. Probably nothing but will be interesting to confirm. Regards, Tim.
    Have received a copy of the official crash report for this incident so have all the details now. Surprised no one from the USA had anything on this one to add to the forum. Will add details and amend the information as this differs from some of the previously published reports. Regards, Tim.

?

Hi new to this site ,does any one have photos of Richard H Wells ,i have a rudder pedal from the p38 that he crashed in and have an interest in what officially happened .thanks nigel

?

Hi ,could i have a copy of that crash report if poss , nigel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast