Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dambuster Bombsight To Be Sold

Article about: The last surviving bombsight of the Dambuster's raid is due up for auction this month. With an estimate of £20,000-25,000 that is an expensive piece of wood! Not bad for an improvised item.

Default Dambuster Bombsight To Be Sold

The last surviving bombsight of the Dambuster's raid is due up for auction this month. With an estimate of £20,000-25,000 that is an expensive piece of wood! Not bad for an improvised item.

Dambuster bombsight to auction for $38,000?

I sincerely hope this is picked up by the IWM or suchlike as it was the one used that aimed the most successful bomb of two that breached the Mohne dam, and as such deserves to be preserved as a piece of the history of this country that would not be the case if it went into a private collection who knows where.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Considering the IWM are considering closing their library to cut £4m from their budget I can't see them going in for it. Hopefully the Government steps in and places an export bar on it to allow a museum (maybe RAF Hendon) time to raise the necessary money just as they did with Jane Austen's ring.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Considering the IWM are considering closing their library to cut £4m from their budget I can't see them going in for it. Hopefully the Government steps in and places an export bar on it to allow a museum (maybe RAF Hendon) time to raise the necessary money just as they did with Jane Austen's ring.
    That's kinda what I was getting at, Hendon or Cosford, of which I am a member, would be ideal.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    That's kinda what I was getting at, Hendon or Cosford, of which I am a member, would be ideal.

Regards, Ned.
    I think that would display very well in a case sitting in front of the Lancaster at Hendon. And as is the way of displays these days, they could have a replica set up with some simulator software as a 'Try your hand at Dambusting' thing for the younger visitors.

be a shame if we lose it.

Hope it's not one of the Flitters scams

I wonder if Lord Ashcroft would go for it and then place it in his VC/GC section at the IWM?

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    I wonder if Lord Ashcroft would go for it and then place it in his VC/GC section at the IWM?
    That crossed my mind, but is that something he's been known to do? I thought, perhaps erroneously, that he only bought medals (VC's, GC's of historic interest for the country in a philanthropic way.

Regards, Ned.

?

You may recall it was the log books of Viv Nicholson Maltby's navigator that caused contraversy last year when they came up for auction , as noone knew how they had actually come into the public domain , there was abelief they had in fact been stolen , does anyone recall a result of this enquiry ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast