Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Family heirloom from the Halifax riots of 1945

Article about: Hi there, I am looking for information on the Halifax riots of 1945. My grandfather was a sailor during WW2 and participated in these riots. He had a dark brown leather encased rod (not sure

amyr1234
    ?

Default Family heirloom from the Halifax riots of 1945

Hi there,

I am looking for information on the Halifax riots of 1945.

My grandfather was a sailor during WW2 and participated in these riots. He had a dark brown leather encased rod (not sure what the core is, possibly iron? It feels like metal) that is about 2.5 ft long, and 3/4 in wide that he somehow acquired during this time, but would never tell anyone how he got this.

I'm sure the story of how he acquired it is not one of his prouder moments, but I have always been curious as to who he may have taken it from. Did police officers of that time carry these types of rods? Did higher ranking military officials? I'm sure the story will never fully come out, but I would love to find out what I can about this odd "heirloom".

If you have any information, please let me know.

Thank you,
    Amy Erickson Rohde
    amy.rohde@gmail.com

Default Re: Family heirloom from the Halifax riots of 1945

Hello amyr1234 welcome to the forum!

can you provide a picture ?

its hard for anyone to identify the item without good quality pictures and it could answer a lot more questions for you

Hi Amy, welcome to the forum!

I had not heard of these riots before? But after a search I see these took place in Halifax Canada and not in it's namesake in the UK.

A photo would certainly help. But not an item I am familiar with.

Cheers, Ade.

amyr1234
    ?

I will see what I can do.

My mom and dad currently have possession of it, and they are NOT tech savvy at all, so I don't know what the chances are of getting them to email me a photo.

I'm sure they are just as interested as I am in what this is, maybe that'll help inspire them to learn.

amyr1234
    ?

Okay! I actually got some information, the item described was called a "swagger stick".

It'll probably be faster and easier to find a photo of this online rather than walking my folks through the upload/send process.

Off I go, to the wide world of the internet!

Swagger sticks were carried by Army Officers. The were more usually leather covered wood though. The size would be a bit smaller than you describe.

I can show you one from my collection as seen here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family heirloom from the Halifax riots of 1945  

amyr1234
    ?

Okay, this is a very very similar stick.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family heirloom from the Halifax riots of 1945  

amyr1234
    ?

Wonderful, thank you so much, Ade!

As far as I know, he took it from someone who, in his words, "didn't deserve to have" it during the V-E riots/celebrations in May 1945.

I'm sure there is a rather juicy story behind it, but unfortunately, it will never be known. Still, even knowing what this item is solves a huge mystery.

Thank you,

Amy

That is a swagger stick.

Sounds like he took it from an Officer.

Cheers, Ade.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.