Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A few items from my Uncle.

Article about: Hi Guys, I though that I would share these few items with you. They all come from my Uncle Arthur (actually my Mum's cousin, but as a kid he was always called "Uncle" by me, as you

Default A few items from my Uncle.

Hi Guys, I though that I would share these few items with you.

They all come from my Uncle Arthur (actually my Mum's cousin, but as a kid he was always called "Uncle" by me, as you do at that age). Sadly, he passed away three years ago. A year after he passed away my Aunt begun to sort through his effects which I helped her with. I had to open a small wooden box for her which had a broken lock. I opened it to find these items along with other old family papers.

First off here are his identity discs onto which he attached a small brass good luck charm. This was from Italy where he fought and is inscribed "Ricordo del santuard o d Pompei".

The formation sign is that is the 48th (South Midland) Infantry Div. This was a training formation by the time he joined up. Their previous service was with the BEF in France in 1940. The Div was broken up in 1944.

His ribbon bar bears the 39-45 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal and 1939 -45 War Medal. The ribbons are sewn over a metal bar which is secured with a long pin, similar to a cap badge fixing. A white "housewife" was also found in the box, complete with darning wool for repairing socks and a small pair of sissors. This is faintly stamped with his service number.

The photos show him in training.

Cheers, Ade
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few items from my Uncle.   A few items from my Uncle.  

Attached Images Attached Images A few items from my Uncle.  A few items from my Uncle. 

Default Re: A few items from my Uncle.

Having found the above "housewife" my Aunt said she recalled seeing another one in the Garage cupboard. A few minutes later she discovered this really nice and very complete 1945 dated Jungle green example. She though that the thimball without a top to it was very funny!

Here are various papers including his miltary driving licence for 1944/45 seen top right. Bottom left is the envolope that contained his ribbons.

Here is Arthur seen here on the right in a 1945 dated photo. Most likely taken in Italy given the date and the KD shirt he is wearing. Arthur never claimed his medals, which did not surprise me. The war was a subject he was not really fond of talking about. He did like talking about the vehicles he worked on though and liked to tell me how they maintained the Jeeps by turning them onto their sides to get at the underneath!

I urged my Aunt to claim his medals. She was sucessful and got them! They are now framed up and are displayed on her living room wall.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few items from my Uncle.   A few items from my Uncle.  

A few items from my Uncle.  

His 1945 diary is on the right. It lists several changes of unit, all RASC, and based in Italy (Central Med Forces) To the left are his papers calling him back for a short couse in the reserves. Note he was now a Clp and in the REME. I had always though he was in the REME and was surprised to see all the RASC related paperwork, but this document proves the connection.

The final item is a letter home to his Mum, my Great Aunt Flo. (My Nan's sister) It really made us smile as he thanked his Mum for the 10 shillings but asked her to send some more money out next time! He mentions that they might be going away soon.

These items, although small and not rare, mean a lot to me as they are family related.

very nice post ade cheers

Very nice Ade,

And wonderfull to have these family related items.
    and although these items are not special for collectors, the fact that they are from relatives of you makes it very special!

makes me wonder...
    i have a few of these type of items from dutch ww2 soldiers..
    as i do not do much with them, i think im going to try and
    find the family's from these soldiers and return the items to them.
    fortunatly there are a lot of adresses on several letters and documents,
    so i think this should be possible.

Thanks ade..this post made me feel that items like yours should really be returned to family's of these brave soldiers.

Ill let you know if i had any luck in my search!

Squadra33

Hal
    ?

Ade do you know how old your uncle was in the training camp pic? He looks to be right out of high school. Regards, Hal

?

Very interesting family belonged items!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Default Great Display of - A few items from my Uncle.

ADE - What a very Nice & Sincere thread about the WWII Items from your dear 'Uncle!'

Items related to one's Family, rate 1st & Foremost, in the Treasures of our Memories, & of our Collections.

Glad that you were able to help put things together - so that the History of them, became a real "Living History!" ...Best, Dave/dblmed

?

The thimble without a top is a tailors thimble.
    Steve

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind comments.

I think Arthur would have been 18 years old when the training photos were taken.

Thanks for the info on the thimbal Steve, I had never seen or heard of one before like that.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast